A great guide for Morocco...

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A great guide for Morocco...

We've just got back from a fantastic 2 weeks in Morocco where we had a private guide, Mark Willenbrock, for 4 days to take us to the deep south and the Sahara before we launched out on our own. Mark was great and we can't recommend him highly enough. He's English but has live in Morocco for years & speaks French and Arabic. We worked out our itin with him and he then organised all hotels and our bivouac in the desert, which made life really easy! We travelled with him in his comfortable, aircon, 4x4 picking up his equally wonderful local guide, Rashid, at M'hamid for the desert crossing. We got so much more out of our trip due to Mark. He loves his adopted country, is a mine of information and was extremely patient with our endless questions and requests. He's flexible, nothing is too much trouble, he made it fun and has a great sense of humour. He's also a very good driver - necessary on some of the hairy mountain pistes - and we felt 100% safe at all times.

Mark also helped us enormously with suggestions/car hire/hotels etc for after we left him and went off on our own. This was not in his remit and was much appreciated.

If you're thinking of a trip to this stunningly beautiful country and would like a guide, get in touch with him - [email protected]
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM

Diandguy,

I have always had a question about this mark here but never had it answered. To be a guide in Morocco, you have to be of Moroccan nationality... How did this guy manage to be a guide? Can you answer this question for me please? Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi - I can't answer you! Maybe it is because he has a bone fide company and is not just a 'guide' - have a look at his website www.madaboutmorocco.com

Why don't you ask him!

diandguy
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM

according to the law, there is no "Maybe", if he does show and drive people around, then he is acting as a guide, and he's not Moroccan, so he is breaking the rules!!
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 06:55 AM

This is what his website says...

Who will drive us?
Our drivers are all European, speaking English, French and enough Arabic to survive where no French is spoken. Desert guides are all indigenous people, with long experience.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Thanks for that cmarlin20.
Europeans are not allowed to drive or show tourists around. One has to be Moroccan and go for special education and training (at least 2 years)to become a licenced guide. Same goes for touristique vehicles' drivers.
"Desert guides are all indigenous people, with long experience." There's nothing here also that states they are licenced guides.

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Dear Khattabi

What I do is perfectly legal.

I run an agency, and I personally use only registered, Moroccan guides.

I'm aware of the legislation, which was brought in to stop aggressive hustling of potential clients. It's worked very well, and the Moroccan cities are now pleasant and relaxed for tourists.

Kind regards

Mark
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Also forgot to remind you that the law does not allow tour companies to use old Right Hand Drive cars with English registration plates!!!!
And how come (as you stated in your website) that all the drivers are European? Isn't that so very illegal?
I am sorry but your whole operation sounds illegal and dodgy to me.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks diandguy
I will be contacting Mark for my next trip to Morocco, he sounds just what we are looking for.
You will always get someone knocking the recommendations, probably a rival
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 02:07 PM

what a desperate attempt! Everybody knows you're a tout here and also another illegal operator "lauraneill" so you're only fooling yourself not people by this fake, stupid reinforcement!
Give these and other forums a break people!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM

If i'm another illegal operator why am i going to use someone else for my trips. I think you have your wires crossed.
I did read on the tripadvisor forum that you work as as illegal guide, probably that is the reason you try to discourage people from using other companies
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:00 PM

I say you come up with something else, you obviously are running out of lies!
I have access to the official lists of every single authorized and legal tour company and guide in the country so I can't be fooled and thus I do know which "tour companies" are illegally operating!
Go a little further with your lies and fake posts and I will gladly list your and other illegal tour companies on every single travel forum on the web as a starter!
And I am not a guide, I am a police officer