Search

Kruger to Blyde Canyon

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kruger to Blyde Canyon

I was in the Grand Canyon a year ago, does anyone know if Blyde is as nice or is it too similar? Is it possible to drive from Skukuza through Blyde Canyon to Johannesburg on one day?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:57 AM

We drove from Sabi Sand Reserves through part of Blyde Canyon (the Bourke?s Luck Potholes) and Pilgrim's Rest on our way back to Jo'burg. We didn't stop long but it was interesting and I would recommend it.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:31 PM

ESTUARDOS:

A friend of mine ownes a convient store in the Blyde shopping centre be sure to drop in!

Please do not expect to see something similar to the Grand Canyon in the Hoedspruit area!

You can easily make the drive from Skukuza through Blyde Canyon to JHB in one day.Be sure to visit the Cheetah breeding project in Kapama on your way.

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I was checking a map to see which way to go. Is this route Ok?

-Skukuza (P. Kruger Gate)
-Hazyview
-Hoedsprit (stopping in Katama)
-Through JG Strijdom Tunnel
-Bourke's Luck Potholes
-Pilgrim's Rest
-Lydenburg
-Johannesburg

Does anyone know how long this should take?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:26 PM
sandi

estuardos -

The way you have the itinerary marked out, I don't think 1-day is enough and still enjoy the trip.

You're starting out at Skukuza and Hazeyview isn't too far, but then you're going north to Kapama and Hoedspruit (easily a 2-hr trip, if not longer). You'll want some time to spend at Kapama.

You're skipping Blyde River completely. Then you're turning south to Bourke's Pot Holes and even further south to Pilgrim's Rest - you won't have time to stop at any of these places.

Another thing to remember - fog. Depending on time of year and weather, it's not unusual that these areas have fog and then you can't see much of anything. So what you do have is a long beautiful ride, as the scenery that can be seen is beautiful, but not much else. To enjoy the Panorama Route it should be done over 2-days.

From Pilgrim's Rest thru Lyndenburg onto JNB can easily be a 5-hr drive.

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:26 PM

I think one day might be too rushed. We did the drive in two days. There are lots of stops with some walks to see the views. It is NOT like the Grand Canyon, but a different kind of beautiful scenery. Stayed in a lovely B&B and made the last part of the trip to JB in several hours on the second day.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 09:02 AM

Hello,

I am planning my trip to SA in august. I wonder if it's possible to drive from Olifants camp at Kruger to Blyde River Canyon in one day.

Then, we will sleep near the canyon (do you know a nice place to stay).

Then, we would like to visit the region and drive back to Jobourg.

TO sum up :
Early start from Olifants
Arrived in the canyon around 1pm
Visit the area (walk, view...)
Sleep in the canyon
Then, early start to drive to Jobourg and catch a plane to go to the CAP.

Is it possible ?

Thanks,
Olivier
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 10:51 PM

Olivier, we drove from Blyde River Canyon to Letaba camp (north of Olifants) in about 5 hours I think.
At Blyde River Canyon, we stayed at a lovely lodge by the entrance to the Blyde River Nature Reserve, called the Blyde River Canyon Lodge (http://www.blydecanyoncountry.com/ac...lydelodge.html). It's a half-hour drive from Orpen Gate.
I cannot recommend it enough! Rooms opened out onto beautiful gardens with a stunning view of the Drakensberg behind. There were even a few zebra and wildebeest strolling through the grounds in the evening ("Zebras by swimming pool" made for some excellent photos!) Very reasonable rates (I think we paid R350 pppn)