A beach hostel in Turkey...?

Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

A beach hostel in Turkey...?

My girlfriend and I are looking at spending about 2 or 3 weeks in Turkey, late April early May. We have never been to Turkey and would appreciate any hints or tips on places to go and see. We are particularly interested in spending a few days or so at a hostel on a beach. We were thinking about somewhere in the South West but are open to suggestions.

Any one know of a hostel with a good lively atmosphere by the beach?

And the best mode of travel between towns like Istanbul, Bursa, Izmir, Antayla? I've heard that the ferries are a good way to go, any idea on price compared to bus?
Feb 4th, 2005, 03:58 AM

Can't help with hostels.

For travel between cities - you might want to look into bus companies (Varan comes to my mind, although there are others). These companies usually provide day and night service between most cities and are relatively comfortable (i.e. think Greyhound). You might check out the trains too - although be prepared for delays.

There's a ton of things to do in Istanbul - the museums, the palaces, the mosques - any good tour book will have an exhaustive list. Take a cruise on the Bosphorus - a relatively inexpensive way of doing this might be to use the public ferry service and just stay on until you get to the last stop. Then get off, have a seafood meal at one of the places on the water and grab the next ferry back. There are other services that are strictly for sightseeing and provide narrative as well. Just outside Istanbul, Miniaturk is a theme park full of miniature Ottoman and Turkish architecture - terrific place to visit but go on a weekday and go early would be my advice. In Sultanahmet Square stop and get 'simit and cay' (sesame covered pastry and tea) from a street vendor, sit on a bench and do some people watching. Walk up hilly, narrow roads to Galata Tower to check out the view of Istanbul below you - on a clear day the views are amazing and it's well worth climbing the relatively steep roads to get there.

Haven't been to Bursa in a very, very long time so cannot say much there. However, make sure you go to the Iskender Donercisi for Turkish style-gyro.

Izmir has changed a lot over the past couple of years. In Kultur Park in the center of town, go to the Archeological Museum. Take a ferry ride from Konak or Alsancak to Karsiyaka - lots of places along the waterfront to sit and get a bite to eat. Outside the city - take a bus to the town of Cesme - have seafood on the waterfront, wander through the fort. Also outside the city, visit Ephesus - wonderful ruins of antiquity. Near Ephesus is Meryemana (Mary's House).

I have not been to Antalya in many years - but the last time we went we toured ruins (Aspendos comes to mind), went to Manavgat Falls, visited the Santa Claus town/church (I can't recall the exact name right now.)

These are just some of the things that come to my mind now. If I think of anything else, I will post again.
Feb 5th, 2005, 03:20 AM

Buses are a great way to get around. There is also, of course a ferry (now a high speed catamaran) across the Bosphorus from Istanbul that links with buses to Bursa or Izmir. The ferry is expensive compared to the bus. Info re the ferry is available on the web if you google.

My first visit to Turkey was for 2 weeks. I went with no plans at all and went home having visited:

Istanbul (6 nights I think) but I arrived at 11.30 pm.

Flew to Antalya (ticket bought in Istanbul). Stayed 4 nights. Bus to Izmir which takes 10-12 hours from memory.

3 nights in Izmir. Visited Ephesus. Took night train back to Istanbul and flew out.

This was back in the late 80s. The night train no longer exists in quite that form. But I still think it's a pretty good itinerary. There is loads to see in Istanbul but you could maybe cut stay to 5 nights. I would recommend flying to Antalya. Then as above but you have the extra day to bus it from Izmir to Bursa, and thence by bus back to Istanbul.

For accommodation - found as I went along - ditto on visit last year.

But you might like to check out if you're into hostels not hotels:

hostelworld.com

happy travels

Search this Thread