Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   8 nights in Morocco in Aug (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/8-nights-in-morocco-in-aug-984267/)

watakeet Jul 7th, 2013 01:19 AM

8 nights in Morocco in Aug

We are a group of three and has varying degrees of travel experience in Morocco, 1 never been there, 1 been there once and me twice. Casablanca will be where we fly in and out of the country. We'd like to cover Tangier, Marrakesh and Essaouira and are concerned whether Marrakesh will be unbearably hot in mid August. The split of time along the cities that I've worked out at this point is as follows and I'd love to hear your advice before I dig in further -

Day 1 - arriving Casablanca airport at 9am. To Tangier direct and use it as a hub for 3 nights for side trips to Tetouan and Chefchaouen.

Day 4 - take a train from Tangier to Marrakesh for 2nights

Day 6 - to Essaouira for a night

Day 7 - back to Marrakesh for a night

Day 8 - take a train from Marrakesh to Casablanca

Day 8 - take off from Casablanca in the afternoon

Will be most grateful for any comments on the practicality of the above itinerary.

watakeet Jul 7th, 2013 07:22 AM

2 of us have been to Rabat and Fes, so don't want to repeat them. Seems like taking planes for some of my trips is more practical. Need to refine that. But then is Marrakech bearable? If not, I may take Agadir instead. Views are most welcome.

UNDERMOROCCANSUN Jul 8th, 2013 11:51 AM

If heat is an issue then I would suggest Agadir instead or just stick to Essaouira, although the latter is most of time windy which can be not fun for beach goes, yet the medina is stunning.
Taking planes would be great thats if flights take on time and no laggage is lost!? Royal air Maroc can be horribly unreliable/
Hope this can be of service to you.
Best.

jeffaldred Jul 8th, 2013 11:10 PM

I guess your itinerary is quite well planned and you have allotted ample amount of time to all places. We had the same plan when we were on our Morocco Travel 1 year ago and we enjoyed a lot. Hope you too enjoy a lot.

watakeet Jul 9th, 2013 06:18 AM

Thanks all for our comments. To suit the best flight time between Marrakech and Tangier, We changed the plan to go from Casablanca - Essaouira - Marrakech - tangier - Casablanca.

Do you guys have recommendations on transfer service between cities and riads or hotels in Tangier and Casablanca. We prefer Moroccan style accommodation in medina or nearby.

UNDERMOROCCANSUN Jul 9th, 2013 07:50 AM

A train lives Casablanca airport to downtown at the head of each hr, when here you can take a petit taxi to your hotel.
Same in Tangier petit taxis are widely available by the train station although I always prefer to walk a bit from them and pick a NO line waiting taxi, if you get my drift.

thursdaysd Jul 9th, 2013 09:44 AM

The train is fine, but definitely walk away from the train station before taking a cab. And bargain.

Can't help with accommodation in Casa - the budget options were so bad I stayed in Rabat instead (which I liked), and I didn't go to Tangier.