Search

6-paw equiv in Vic Falls?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6-paw equiv in Vic Falls?

Is there a 6-paw equivalent type accommodation in the Vic Falls area? Anyone ever stay at Matetsi Water Lodge? It's a CC Africa property. I typically like CC Africa properties, but I'm not hearing much or finding many reviews on this property near Vic Falls.

By the way, I dreamed I met Lynn & Predator while out on safari! I'm spending tooooo much time here when the Fodorites start popping up in my dreams of Africa! LOL.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:03 AM

type in "Matetsi" in the search box and you'll find some reviews of the MWL.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:15 AM

LionQueen, where did you meet me? Maybe I was there.

There is another thread or two on Africa dreams and dreams about people on Fodors. You are not alone.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Hello,

I have been at Matetsi 3 years ago.We really enjoy the stay even we didn´t had much luck with the game.

Our room was big,with a nice double bed,big bathroom with a bath and a nice view of the Zambeze.There was a pool at every room but at that time it was cold so no much use(a few days ago someone i can´t remember put his trip report with a magnificent story about 2 warthog piglets falling into their room´s pool,they had great luck with wildlife).

We liked the food and having breakfast and dining beside the river was wonderful.

The last day of our stay we where the only ones in camp and when we came back from the night game drive and got into our room we where amaze.There where Candles and petals of roses everywhere and there was a light path leading to the tub that was prepared with perfumed water and also cover with roses and with some Champaign and flowers beside.
Out, beside our room pool there was a table prepared for a romantic dinnerWe where really impress since we din´t ask for these,it was really fantastic.
Our guide was Casper and he was fantastic,so it was the tracker who´s name can remember.

If you think that the personnel might not behave better... you are wrong. The day of our visit to the falls we where pick by another guide of name Felix.
After passing the whole morning with us, happy and obligingly and when we return to the camp, he told us that his mother had died in the morning and to go to the funeral had to drive approximately eight hours. I felt very bad and I protested in the lodge why they had not put us another guide. This history can give you idea of the human quality we found at Matetsi.

After this i have to tell you that Tongabezi will be more like a six-paw camp, but i will be difficult to improve Matetsi human qualitybt.

Paco.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:54 AM

LionQueen: I don't have a 6-paw Vic Falls recommendation but I hope your dream comes true -- I'd love to be out on safari and run into you and Lynn!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:09 PM
santharamhari

LionQueen:if you are planning on going to Botswana to the wilderness safaris 6 paw camps....you may as well ask your TA for info on "The River Club". I havent been there....but, it is meant to be good from what i hv read.....

Hari

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM

I was the one who mentioned the warthog rescue. We were expecting really good birding and ok game. Instead, the game sightings were very good and birds were good. The birding was hurt by the fact it rained quite a bit when we were there (Nov 3-7). We saw 5 male lions hunting and a very stupid hyena who was almost killed by one. Also saw large numbers of elephant and buffalo as well as some sable (what an animal!). The highlight was a pack of wild dogs that stayed near the lodge the whole time we were there (one had a bad paw and they traveled slowly to stay together). The rain brought out the flying termites and the birds were gorging when we left. Food and accomodations were very nice and we also got the petal treatment. The room and plunge pool had a lovely view of the river. Canoeing on the river was nice but they avoid areas with hippos and crocs so no close encounters. Boat trip was better than I expected. After the morning drive there was a shuttle in to Vic Falls if you wanted to sightsee.

Negatives: There had been a robbery from a room several weeks before we arrived (apparently someone from the Zambia side came over in a boat) so we had to button up the room when we slept at night. Security was around and we didn't feel threatened but it was confining to have to have all the doors and windows closed. They may have relaxed these precautions now. I would be sure to put valuables in the safe. Also our ranger was very knowledgeable but not very outgoing. We had to ask a lot of questions to get info. The other rangers we spoke to were much more outgoing. I have friends in CCA's training section and they told me that this particular ranger was new (he had worked for years for another company) and would be attending the CCA rangers training in December and they would address this issue. Knowing how they work, I am sure he will be much more communicative by now (or gone).

By the way, the second (tented) camp at Matetsi that was closed because of the problems in Zimbabwe might be reopening soon. It has a great location and most of the sightings we had would have been visible from there with no driving necessary. Let me know if you need more info.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:43 PM

I forgot to mention I agree with Paco about the staff.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Hello,

As others have mentioned, I'd recommend looking at River Club and Tongabezi (Zambian side) as well as Matetsi (Zim side).

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/ca...mp;method=menu

http://www.tongabezi.com

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Jasher:
We are staying at the River Club June 14 and 15. All of the pictures I just looked at for the hundreth time are shot when I am sure the weather is warmer than when we are going. Are we going to be able to sit outside, and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere at that time of year. I know no swimming but what about the rest.?
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Hello,

Even though it's winter, Vic Falls should be warm and sunny during the day (mid-70s F). Nights will be a bit chilly (though after your time in the Linyanti, it will feel positively balmy) ;S- So you should be able to sit outside and enjoy the sun and the views during the day.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 04:28 PM

spiegeljcs: I also have had reservations about staying at River Club - I have read good and maybe "not so good" reviews, but my t/a stayed there and loved it, and others on this forum have agreed --along with another forum I frequent so -- go for it; we will be there a week before you! Send me your email and I will let you know what we think! OH, and friends of friends who travel WAY beyond first class loved it! Thats all I have to go on - so I am going. Will report back on this forum! D.