Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   6 months after our return from Tanzania and Kenya... (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/6-months-after-our-return-from-tanzania-and-kenya-382827/)

nkh Dec 16th, 2003 03:36 PM

6 months after our return from Tanzania and Kenya...

..... we have finally started to post our photos on our webpage!

Thus far only Tanzania, with no picture captions, and no detailed trip report but it is a start!

the link is www3.sympatico.ca/thaynes/ if any of you are interested after all this time.....

More will be added in January, along with captions and actual trip report.

Happy Holidays to all!

Roccco Dec 16th, 2003 04:40 PM

nkh,

Thanks for sharing those amazing photos. My personal favorite is the trio of lions on the rocks! :)

Also thanks for the feedback on your previous posts (I was curious about your experiences since I am planning a June, 2004, trip to Tanzania). I had been talking to the same company you booked with and had figured that since they are a South African company that they subcontracted out to someone else and now I know to whom!

I am not sure whether or not I have already contacted Predator Safaris or not, but I do expect there prices to be very good since the company that you booked with is currently only about 10-15% higher than the ones that I am dealing with.

Glad to see that you had a wonderful time in Tanzania & Kenya.

Happy holidays.

Kavey Dec 17th, 2003 01:44 AM

Many thanks for sharing - it's always a pleasure viewing Africa through the eyes of other visitors!

:D

hlphillips2 Dec 17th, 2003 05:40 AM

Thanks nkh!!
It's so much more meaningful to see photos now that I can recognize some of the places and animals. Especially around Manyara (I think I met two of your elephants!).
Great photos of the zebra kill. I'm envious ;-)
What size lens did you use? We had a 300mm lens and the photos aren't nearly as close up as yours are. Those bird photos are amazing.

sandi Dec 17th, 2003 07:00 AM

Great pics.
Like Roccco, the three lions on the kopje is great
- and the kill - good work!
Thanks for sharing

nkh Jan 3rd, 2004 12:37 PM

Hi all

Sorry about the delay in replying - holiday visits etc.....

I am glad you all enjoyed the photos - we were very pleased, especially since we are not very experienced photographers! Amazing when how you select your best photos, and with a bit of cropping etc., they actually come out looking pretty good :-)

Heather - we used a 70-300mm lens (Nikon G - just a standard/basic lens), and were lucky with the birds that they were close (we have some further away birds too.....!). The starling sat there and stared at me, basically daring me to take the photo, the hamerkop was sitting in a stream right beside the road, and the heron about 10ft from it (very lucky shots). Also it is entirely possible you met some of the elephants we met. I was surprised how distinctive each elephant is - particularly if you could also see how big the family group they were with was.

The lions on the kopje are one of my favorites as well, and on the list of "photos to put on a wall somewhere". They are actually the same lions as those at the kill - the little "story" will go up on the webpage when we put up full text.

Roccco - I have "watched" your trip planning for Tanzania with interest, and will continue to do so - I expect the Predators prices will be reasonable. I do know they will be cheaper if you contact them directly as we talked to them about it. For us, it made sense to book through 2afrika because we looked into airfares and what we could save with the safari company we more than lost through the airfare. As I recall, you have frequent flyer miles, so this is not something you need to worry about. If there is anything I can help you with (with my oh-so-great one trip to Africa so far....!) then please let me know. Good luck with planning the trip!

Happy New Year to all, and I will post when we update the page with the Kenya photos and commentary (wont be too long....part of that list of New Year's resolutions!)

SusanLynne Jan 4th, 2004 12:56 PM

nkh: I think you will find that most people on this board always want to catch glimpses of Africa. On this dreary, damp and cool day in New Hampshire, thank you for transporting me to magical places ... that certainly look warmer then where I am right now! Lovely photos and thank you for sharing them.

Dottie Jan 4th, 2004 04:32 PM

Thanks for sharing your photos. I loved them.We took our first trip to Africa in Sep.The main focus was South Africa and Victoria Falls. Now I to, have been bitten by the African bug. I do think Kenya and Tanzania w1ll be my next trip. To bad it will take me a couple of years to save the money.But I can dream,and looking at all your photos are a good way to do that

star55 Jan 5th, 2004 09:17 AM

nkh,

Thanks for sharing the photos. It's cold, dark and dreary where I am so a 'trip' to Tanzania via your album was much appreciated.

Can't wait to see the rest.