6 days in Zambia - what to do

Old Jan 28th, 2020, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

6 days in Zambia - what to do

My wife and I and our three 20-something kids have 6 days to spend in July (after our Rwanda adventure) and would like some advice. We are hearing about Zimbabwe and Botswana a lot and almost feel pushed to choose one of them, but somehow I keep thinking just stay in Zambia, though a short sightseeing of Vic Falls on both sides has to be included. I would like some input please.

We will fly into Lusaka from Kigali.

Any thoughts on SLNP are appreciated.

Kafue is it worth it? It seems logical to go to from Lusaka.

Lower Zambezi - canoe trip. Seems like we can easily get to. Do the overnight canoe trips include game drives during the day?

Vic Falls - have to!

Any advice is appreciated.

Old Jan 28th, 2020, 11:13 PM

Would highly recommend SLNP. It's an absolute must do in Zambia. I have not had enough of it. Leopards especially. Proflight has daily flights to Mfuwe from Lusaka. Plan atleast 3 nights. Take a flight to Livingstone from Mfuwe with a technical stop-over in Lusaka. Hwange in Zimbabwe is about 4 hrs from Vic Falls. But I doubt you'll have time. Kafue was brilliant. Though poaching has decimated the wildlife there its still very good. Lower Zambezi is a fantastic destination. A different perspective of the wildlife from the canoes. Tough call for only 6 days., but SLNP a must.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 04:26 AM

I "only" have 12 days for safari in Zambia later this year and I'm splitting it between 3 locations in South Luangwa NP. I didn't want to eat up a bunch of time transiting between parks and I'd read that SLNP is best for big cats, particularly leopard, and walking safari, so I chose to stick with that. (I'd also done canoe safari in the Amazon a couple years ago and really didn't love it so it was easy for me to rule out the Zambezi on the first trip to Zambia.) Zambia has perfected the fine art of walking safari and everyone I know who's done it returns to do it again.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 10:19 AM

The Heat and Dust of Kafue & the Busanga Plains

If it interests you folks, the the link above is a couple of years old. It's incomplete as there was no response to my monologue. Had some awesome time in Zambia. Particularly the Busanga Plains.