Cash in Egypt

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash in Egypt

Is it true that the egyptians prefer USD versus egyptian pounds. I've been told I should take USD cash to pay for tours, hotel etc? Is this true? I've always used credit cards for hotels etc. What about at the markets?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

I'm traveling on Thursday and would hope to get a response soon. thanks
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:38 PM

Egyptian currency notes are very old and extremely dirty. You will be best of carrying small US or Euro bills as they are widely accepted. You will need to exchange a small amount of dollars, in my case around $100, into Egyptian Pounds since a lot of the shops will not have change for foreign currency when you make small purchases or even small tips.

When I was there all the hotels were prepaid by the tour company I used but I didn't have a problem paying excess expenses(food etc) with my credit card. For shopping cash is best as very few shops accept credit card.

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:22 AM

While it has been 4 years since we were in Egypt, we used credit cards freely for hotels. For some strange reason, US dollars only for visa upon entry.

While some markets would yell prices in USD, Egyptian pounds was the currency of choice everywhere. Never US coins - these can not be converted by Egyptians to pounds. We brought some US singles and used them sometimes for tips, but again, Egyptian pounds were better. Small Egyptian bills were most difficult to get - as ATMs as in US emit larger denominations. I would not bother hauling much US cash - use credit cards, get local currency and have a great trip!

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:55 PM

When I was in Egypt & Jordan in Nov. 2003, I used ATMs to get local currency with no problem. They were available at the Marriot Hotel, so it was a secure setting & worked fine!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. This makes me feel much better.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:02 AM

You are OK with both currencies, actually Egyptian Pounds (LE) would be more convenient. When you arrive, just exchange say USD 100 at one of the banks (plenty at the airport) and get them in small denominations... ie. LE 5, 10 and 20s... will be useful for small items shopping, tipping etc...