Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   5th November; Arathusa in Sabi Sands & Rhino Post Plains Camp, Kruger. (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/5th-november-arathusa-in-sabi-sands-and-rhino-post-plains-camp-kruger-810889/)

DRJO Oct 19th, 2009 04:09 AM

5th November; Arathusa in Sabi Sands & Rhino Post Plains Camp, Kruger.

I'm in the last stages of booking 4 nights in Arathusa and 4 nights at Rhino Post Plains Camp.
Before I finally get the credit card out, any and all advises on the differences and specialities that I'm likely to encounter at these two locations would be very useful.
The game-drives, ecology, fauna and guide expertise are my primary concern (as opposed to the accommodation). Can anyone advise on these specifics at these two locations during early November?
What opportunities for night drives are there? What specialities do these locations bring? Any updated news from recent travelers would be great.
Any top tips (I've been to Chitwa Chitwa in '03 and in June this year had a fabulous time on Wilderness's Migration Routes in Botswana) & advise most gratefully received!
DRJO

christabir Oct 19th, 2009 01:45 PM

DRJO-

We were at Arathusa in June. We loved it, and we've been to much higher end camps in Bots and SA. We much preferred the guests at this affordable camp, and that's half the fun.

Anyway - can't really help you with most of your questions because we only had one guide - Ryan who was very nice and tried to do the right thing with a large group - and one tracker, Maurice who has since left. You can check out my pics at christaandbobafrica2009.shutterfly.com/ and there is a trip report somewhere here (search Arathusa - it'll come up). They have added luxury chalets since we were there, too. I don't know where they are or if they just spiffed up a few of the existing chalets. They were renovating the camp while we were there. I know - not really what you are interested in, but rooms 9 & 10 were great for animal viewing.

My only real advice is to stay in rooms 9 or 10 - they have lovely views of the waterhole and we spent many happy hours just watching the animals come by to visit. You might also have good views at the lower numbers (1-2) at the other end of the waterhole, but I can't vouch for them.

We really loved Arathusa - we were not expecting much for the price but, wow - what a great value IMHO. Lions, leopards, rhino (even a baby), lots of antelopes and ungulates. No cheetah or wild dogs while we were there, but have since been on the property. If you want to do afternoon walks, I would arrange them before arrival.

Night drives were long during June - afternoon drives started pretty late. Lots of leopards.

Check http://www.sabisand.co.za/ for the traversing area, too. Chitwa is part of Arathusa's traversing area.

There are guide diaries on Arathusa's website. They are fun to read, and maybe will give you some idea of what to expect in November.

Safari_Craig Oct 19th, 2009 02:33 PM

Rhino Post - I cringe to give this advice but...

I am a travel agent specializing in Africa. One time, I had a client booked into Rhino Post with no deposit. The client contacted the lodge and they offered him a 50% discount off their internet/published rate (and the rate they offered me). I am not sure how you are booking Rhino Post but they may undercut your agent if you contact them and they WILL negotiate on their rates. I have never heard of any other Sabi Sands or Kruger lodge doing this.

Craig Beal

atravelynn Oct 19th, 2009 05:46 PM

But how is Rhino Post? How's the guiding, the habitat?

Safari_Craig Oct 19th, 2009 06:03 PM

Lynn,

I do not know about the guiding and I never followed up with the client I "lost". Rhino Post directly borders MalaMala on the western edge of the Kruger and it is a private concession. So- the game should be similar to MalaMala which is the best I have ever seen.

When I was at Djuma last year, our guide Ephram had just come from Rhino Post. He was pretty good on knowledge but his English was not so good.

Craig Beal

DRJO Oct 20th, 2009 08:37 AM

Thanks guys. I've booked already & will definately have spent over the odds (GBP to ZAR have helped tho').
I'm still after a webpage for recent upto date sightings for the areas I'll be in. Wilderness do a great Camp News/Unusual sightings site, and I'm hoping there is something available for the two locations I'll be at. DRJO

atravelynn Oct 20th, 2009 04:17 PM

Thanks, Craig. So we need some feedback on Rhino Post.