Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > 5 nights to split between Chobe National Park and Victoria Falls

5 nights to split between Chobe National Park and Victoria Falls

Mar 1st, 2012, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

5 nights to split between Chobe National Park and Victoria Falls

I am going to South Africa for the second time in August and this time I'd like to spend some time to see Victoria Falls and the Chobe National Park. I initially wanted to spend all 5 nights in the Victoria Falls area (still not sure if it's better to stay on the Zambian or Zimbabwe side) and only do a day trip to see Chobe but now I'm thinking of spending 2 nights in Kasane to spend a little bit more time in the park. Would 2 nights in Kasane and 3 nights in Vic Falls be a good idea or should I spend more/less time in these places?

Thanks!
Mar 1st, 2012, 07:24 PM

Would think it depends on how much you love waterfalls? For me, a few hours is enough. Yes, I've seen Victoria, Iguazu. Niagra.

regards - tom
Mar 1st, 2012, 08:23 PM

Like tom, I would stay in the park and do a day trip or one night Vic Falls.
Mar 1st, 2012, 09:36 PM

I agree! Stay in Chobe! You only need a couple of hours at the falls, unless you plan to partake in some of the activities, such as white water rafting. Personally, I think the falls are very beautiful but overrated, but then I am Canadian and am able to visit Niagara Falls whenever I like. Given the choice between more time on safari and more time at the falls, the safari wins - simple decision from my perspective. CR
Mar 2nd, 2012, 07:40 AM

I went to vic falls for 2 nights and that was WAY too much! The falls are amazing but besides that there is nothing to do... stay in Chobe! It is amazing
Mar 2nd, 2012, 08:43 AM

Look into staying on the Ichobezi safariboat for at least three nights. One night at Vic Falls (Zimbabwe side in August) would be more than enough. The safariboat is a wonderful way to see the Chobe area from the water, including "game drives" in small speedboats. We got really close to all the wildlife that was coming down to the river to drink. On the safariboat itself, we were surrounded by elephants day and night. I've also heard good things about Imbabala Safari Lodge in the Chobe region.
Mar 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM

Agree, 1/day at VFA is more than sufficient. And, Falls views are best on the Zimbabwe side.

We arrived from JNB, did a sunset cruise that late-afternoon, overnight at hotel and next morning the Falls visit. Lovely, and at a time when you could really see something... in otherwords, not at full flow when you can't see much, have to be in a raincoat/hat and difficult, if at all, take pics.

After the Falls visit, road transfer 1/hr to Botswana border, than about another 30/min to Chobe where we stayed 2/nts, returned to VFA and flight back to JNB.

You will, of course, require a multi-entry ZIM Visa which is maybe $10 addtl over the single entry.
Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:15 AM

My DH and I spent two nights on the Ichobezi (houseboat) and I agree with ShayTay - it is a wonderful (and unique) way to see Chobe. CR

http://www.ichobezi.co.za/where-to-s...zi-safariboats
Mar 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM

Air Botswana also has flights from Kasane to JNB, but not every day. If you timed it right, you could avoid returning to Vic Falls/Zim for your return flight. Or reverse and go to Kasane/Chobe first, then fly out of Vic Falls, back to JNB.
Mar 2nd, 2012, 02:33 PM

I'd investigate Shaytay's suggestion.
Mar 5th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We will be flying from Johannesburg to Kasane where we will be staying for 3 nights. We will be staying at The Old House, which is a small bed & breakfast that was within our extremely limited budget. After 3 nights, we will transfer to Livingstone, Zambia where we will be staying at another bed & breakfast for 2 nights. I understand that the falls should be more impressive on the Zimbabwe side so we might just cross the border for the day. Staying on the Zimbabwe side and flying back to Johannesburg from there is much more experience than on the Zambian side.
Mar 7th, 2012, 04:11 PM

You will need Yellow Fever Vaccination if you go into Zambia and then return via South Africa.
Mar 7th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, we're gonna have to get that vaccine. No big deal. We might stay on the Zimbabwe side after all but we'll still fly back to Johannesburg from Livingstone since it's MUCH cheaper, 400$ cheaper actually!!!
Mar 8th, 2012, 04:22 AM

You can overland and save the airfare. I used Kumuka.

Vic Falls is so beautiful and there is plenty to do!

Chobe is pure Safari while Vic Falls is for Adventure.

Victoria Falls (Both sides Zimbabwe and Zambia)
-White water rafting
-Lion Walk
-Can walk to the bridge right there in Zambia and bungee jump
-Victoria Falls (but this is only about 3 hours worth)
-You can either stay at Shoestrings Hostel or Victoria Falls Hotel which has the best tea time.

-Also, you can go rock climbing, bungee jumping (but head first and then you swing once you hit the bottom),abseiling, rappelling, etc in the jungle.

Chobe is the BEST safari ever!
You can stay in the park.
The rooms 3 years ago were $100 and were really nice or you can camp.
Loads of elephants playing in the water!
The best experience outside of Chitwan in Nepal.

At the resort there is a pool and you drink and then go on safari boat cruises. It is so much fun.

Taking the bush camping trip in the Okavango Delta is a must!
2 days suffice unless you have a rowdy crowd! :')

Out of the 3 Chobe is more unique to Africa.
Happy Travels!
Mar 8th, 2012, 04:32 AM

In Vic Falls you stay in Zimbabwe.
You can walk to Zambia.

If you are really into white water rafting the Zambezi is a must.
This is the only place I have been to where you can swim in some of the rapids.

The wake board is included in the price.
You can do it in about 2-3 rapids.
So much fun!

You need a day for this trip.

Later somebody told me there were crocodiles in the water.
Duh!
It is Africa!
There is everything in Africa!
Don't worry you swim really fast downhill and why it is so much fun. ;')
Apr 6th, 2012, 07:47 AM

Based on the recommendation from Sandy and Atravelynn we are only spending one night in Vic Falls--our operator had us two or three nights at the Falls. Also based on ShayTay's recommendation we did book the Ichobezi Lodge with the Safari boat. We are really looking forward to Ichobezi--they have just remodeled the bathrooms at the Ichobezi lodge and the boats have been remodeled also.
Apr 6th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Live2Travel1000, you'll love the safariboat! It will be one of the smoothest "game drives" you'll ever go on. The small speedboats they use are a great way to get up close and personal to the wildlife along the riverbank... so much better than trying to see things from the roads. Expect some envious looks from all the people crammed in the day boats!
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM

ShayTay - you have started a great trend! Looking forward to the trip report, L2T.
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:06 PM

I'll be watching for the Ichobezi report also.

It looks fantastic and am hoping to include it in one of my future trips.
Apr 10th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Agree with the recommendations above. We did a helicopter ride over the falls and thought that it was well worth it, even though our pilot had flown over the falls on our arrival to Vic Falls airport. I would also strongly recommend the trip to Livingstone Island after viewing the falls from the Zim side. Given the choice between the two, I'd pick Livingstone Island. The experience there was really breathtaking!

Search this Thread