Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

5 HOURS from Arusha to where you stay at Lake Eyasi for hunting w/Hadzabe?

Jan 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Does that seem right? If so, then one could do about at 3-hour game drive in Arusha National Park in the morning and get to the lodging before sundown.

I'm sure Arusha Nat Park in the morning and driving some place in Karatu by sundown is very doable, but I'd want to get all the way to Kisema Ngeda or Tindiga or another camp at Lake Eyasi by sundown. That way I'd be right there the next morning when meeting up with the Hadzabe.

Would Arusha Nat Park in the morning and the drive to lodging in Lake Eyasi by sundown be too taxing on the guide? Or would one tough day in a 2 week otherwise fairly leisurely paced itinerary be considered just part of the job?

Arriving late, I know I'd miss any afternoon cultural activities, but I'd do them the next day when I stayed for a second night in Lake Eyasi.
Jan 16th, 2010, 12:12 PM

Lynn, I can't imagine doing all this in one day. From Kirurumu near Lake Manyara to Lake Eyasi took over 3 hours alone.
Jan 16th, 2010, 12:24 PM

... and the road from Karatu to Lake Eyasi is really bad! You might consider staying somewhere around Karatu like the Farmhouse, then get an early morning start for a Hadzabe visit/hunt. Later that day, you can also visit a Datoga village in the area, as well. Then, spend that night at a camp at Lake Eyasi.

My visits to Arusha NP have always been almost a full day. I half day visit and travel onwards to Karatu should be doable, but I'm with Raelond on trying to get all the way in to the Hadzabe area; that would be pushing it, I think. From Arusha NP back to Arusha is probably around an hour, then you have to cross the city and head out to Karatu. At least that road is in good shape!
Jan 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM

... and the price for half-day Arusha NP isn't necessarily half that of full-day.

It's really pushing it to Eyasi in one day. I'd consider Arusha NP and then maybe as far as Manyara for o/n. Next day to Eyasi. At least the guide will have had a good night's rest, appreciate your consideration of him (the ideal client) before attacking that road...
Jan 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM

The Hadzabe go out early to go hunting. If you're going out with them, you'll need to be there not long after sunrise. That means either getting up REALLY early, as we did at the Farmhouse, or going out with them after spending the night at Lake Eyasi. If you did Sandi's suggestion, you could get in a half-day visit at Lake Manyara before going on to Eyasi. That' really about all the time you need there.
Jan 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful info!