Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

4x4 essential to go thru mts from merzouga to Ouarzazate to marrakech?

Jan 25th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi there. I am renting a car with driver for 3 days and will be traveling from fez to merzouga to Ouarzazate to marrakech during that span of time. the rental company has suggested that a toyota yaris (?) would be ok for that trip. not necessary to have a 4x4. How are the roads going thru the mts(will be traveling last wk of feb) ..also, the agency quote for me
is 120 GBP for 3 days for the car and additional 20 GBP/day for the driver...does this sound about right?...thank you in advance for any input.

R
Jan 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM

I rode this route in a big tour bus, so I don't think a 4x4 is neccessary.
Jan 26th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Ben

You could hit some snow in the pass between Ouarzazate and Marrakech, and a 4X4 would be helpful to have.
Jan 28th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Sounds a lot for a Yaris. From my earlier searches, I found rentals about 30GBP/ day. I think a company called Maroccar was recommended by a known German guide and they gave me a good quote. Also, www.sixt.com had reasonable rates, though perhaps you do pay a premium for a shorter period rental. 20GBP(30 euros) for driver from the car rental company sounds good, but I found that they expected another 15 euros for their food and lodging, whilst paying an independent guide/driver would have cost about 25-35 Euros a day in total, max. I am stating prices here that I'd researched and negotiated because when searching it was difficult to find prices on forum. A 4x4 hire with driver costs between 110 euros - 140 euros depending on numbers in your group and your negotiation skills.
Jan 29th, 2007, 12:37 PM
KBG

I am doing a similar route in mid April. As of now I am planning to leave from Marrakech to Ouarzazate and into the Dades gorge on the N10 road and then onto Rachidia and back onto to the N13 through Midelt winding up in Fes, from where we will depart for home. I am not locked into stopping at any specific places yet. I expect to spend a total of 4 days from the time I leave Marrakech to the time I arrive in Fes. A saw some amazing photos of Dades area at http://www.wprasek.com/photos/2006-11_morocco/index.php
I am now hooked on seeing the Dades gorge. Possibilities for a stay are Skoura and Toudra gorge and Tinerhir. We would like to do some hiking and maybe some mountain biking.

Any suggestions on the best way to break up this trip? Would taking on a trip from Tinerher to Fez in one day be too much. Any idea how much time we should budget for that.

I assume we will need to pass over the mountains twice - once going from Marrakech to Ourzazet and again heading back east towards Fes on the N13. In April, how should we dress for this area?

We don't plan to hire a guide for this entire leg. We will be renting a car. We will probably hire a guide for 1 or 2 day trips while in this area though.

thanks in advance for the help. I am very open to suggesions.
-KBG
Jan 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM

We went from Todra gorge to Dades gorge over a very rough road that you would definitely need a four wheel drive for. And our guide spoke Berber as well as French, English and Arabic. Don't know if his e-mail still works but it was ([email protected]) and his name is Mohammed. He was excellent. In any case, try to get a Berber speaking guide for this region.