Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   4 nights in Marrakesh and Eassaouira or Oualidia - your thoughts? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/4-nights-in-marrakesh-and-eassaouira-or-oualidia-your-thoughts-389302/)

soisbelle Jul 5th, 2008 03:22 AM

4 nights in Marrakesh and Eassaouira or Oualidia - your thoughts?

My boyfriend is coming to visit me in London and we only have 5 days/4 nights for a short break in early August. We'd both love to visit Morocco and I've been thinking that 2 nights in Marrakesh and 2 nights in Eassaouira or Oualidia would be nice. We'd love the hustle and bustles of markets like with Marrakesh and then just chill out for a bit by the sea. Would love to have a swim so hear that Oualidia is a bit calmer than Eassaouira?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and any advise. I've been reading through the forums and would also welcome hotel recommendations. We'd love something with character, something to really remember as opposed to hotel chain-like. Perhaps something with a view of the sea for the latter part of the trip. Budget is anything less than around 100E a night, although would prefer to spend less.

Many thanks!

akashagrrl Jul 11th, 2008 09:36 AM

Marrakesh is amazing, but 2 nights will just let you get the smallest of tastes of such a vibrant wonderful place.

My boyfriend and I went last summer and stayed in a great hotel (Hotel Islane) right next to the entrance to Jemaa el Fna and the entrances to the souq's. The staff there were very nice and our room was great, with a nice big bed, TV, windows that looked out towards the Koutoubia Mosque, and most importantly an air conditioner (it was about 105 degrees in July when we were there). The price was right too - about $60 US per night, booked online (bring a printed confirmation). The walk to Jemma was short - about 2 minutes to the entrance and once in Jemma el Fna, it is like being in another world - full of such incredible sounds, tastes, smells, etc. We had fresh OJ every day, and some of the best food you will ever have - cooked fresh before your eyes in the evening when all the vendors come out to sell their food. During the day you can wander in the souqs, finding some amazing treasures or sharing tea with some wonderful people.

We had planned to go to Essaouira after 2 days in Marrakech too, but we ended up just staying longer in Marrakesh because it was so wonderful. We hope to visit again this year when we return in November.

b/c the southern part of Morocco will be very warm in August, a nice alternative is to visit the beautiful town of Asilah - it was about 75-80 degrees in July and the beaches, water, and town was absolutely incredible. Our hotel (Hôtel Belle Vue) was simple, but great - friendly staff, a short walk to the souq and beach, very "homey" - and all for only about $15-20 a night. We also had one of the most amazing seafood meals in Asilah, very inexpensive - about $30 US for 3 of us eating unbelieveably delicious fish tagine, grilled fish, fresh shrimp, calamari, olives and bread and Moroccan tea. YUM!

From there we also took a day trip to Larache, where we visited their beach - WOW! - ate delicious fresh cooked seafood, and visited a roman ruins outside of town. The taxi trip from Asilah to Larache (about 45 minutes) was only about $6 or $7 for 3 of us. can't beat that! :)

No matter where you end up visiting, you will have an amazing time, see beauty at every turn, and eat some of the best food you've ever had. Morocco is such a gorgeous country, with amazingly gracious and welcoming people. I wish you the best and hope to hear of your trip afterwards! :)

soisbelle Jul 12th, 2008 11:16 PM

Thank you so much! What a gorgeous description. We've booked 3 nights in Marrakesh and 2 nights in Essaouira, and we can't wait!

RosieinOz Jul 13th, 2008 05:57 AM

thanks great infoakashagrrl...we are going to Marakesh in november and I will look up your hotel suggestions...we also want to go on a desert trek overnight.
Rosie((R))

RosieinOz Jul 13th, 2008 05:58 AM

Have a great trip soisbelle
Rosie ((R))

alyssabc Jul 14th, 2008 12:17 PM

It sounds like you may have already booked your hotel, but if not we LOVED one of our riads in Marrakesh - Dar Taliwint. It's a little bit of a walk from the main square, but just a lovely oasis, and the owners were super helpful. If what your looking for is a riad feel instead of a hotel, it fits the bill (and has air conditioning to boot). I think it was right at 100E, though August may be cheaper.

If budget is more of a concern, we spent our first few nights at Dar Soukaina, which was ok, but frankly felt a little too budget for the price (it was like 85E, not a huge savings), and kind of buggy because of the big orange tree in the courtyard.

Have fun!

pattyroth Jul 15th, 2008 03:59 PM

We loved both Marrakesh and Essaouira! For a splurge, Dar Marjana Restaurant is fabulous! Looks terrible on the outside, but is another world inside-wonderful food and ambience. If interested, can check my photos of both places at www.pbase.com/pattyroth

MaeT Jul 25th, 2008 12:47 PM

Hi - my friend and I stayed at Dar Al Bahar in Essaouira (Google it). It's very pretty, has nice, clean rooms and a roof deck with gorgeous views of the sea. We saw the best sunset from that deck! The rooms are very reasonably priced..I'm sure you can get one for under 100 Euro.