Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   4 daysParanoid about malaria for in Kruger! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/4-daysparanoid-about-malaria-for-in-kruger-205827/)

janet Nov 8th, 2001 04:47 AM

4 daysParanoid about malaria for in Kruger!

We will be in Kruger Park for 4 days in January, and I'm getting paranoid about malaria and the pills you need to take to avoid it. My teenage daughter is very prone to mosquito bites, but am nervous about giving her drugs like Larium which has mental side effects (??). I've heard Malarone is better-- any experiences? Thanks.

ipsych Nov 8th, 2001 06:49 AM

side effects of larium are vastly overrated because of publicity given to it recently in press. the recommended dose is 250mg per week and it is extremely unlikely that someone will have bad side effects at this dose. the consequence of not taking prophylaxis far outweighs the negligible risks.malarone is a new product and hence it is not yet certain whether the efficacy of it in preventing malaria is reliable or not.a recent scientific article in england conclued the same about malorone. we recently were in kenya and after some initial reservations took larium and did not experience any side effects.<BR>regards<BR>ipsych

L Nov 8th, 2001 10:25 AM

I agree with Ipsych ... I am taking larian right now ... having recently returned from South Africa. I am on 250 mg, the standrad level, one time per week, and I started one week before entering the malarial area, and must in all take 7 pills. Thta's the usual regimen. The trick is to swallow your pill after lunch (immediately after a good size meal), and consume a bottle of water. Be aware that Lariam does not offer 100% protection, thus you need to have DEET, and follow instructions about avoiding dark clothing which attracts mosquitos. In camps, you will have netting and overhead fans which help keep them away. Many camps spray as well. You also need to check each other for ticks each evening. So you really can relax, and you will be okay ... just get the Lariam from your doctor, and follow directions. Ciao

Vu Nov 9th, 2001 11:45 PM

Try doxycycline 100mg daily. start one week before entering affected zone and one week leaving. just came back kruger, not a bad place. Got carjacked at Joburg though.

Jim Nov 10th, 2001 02:53 PM

Our family has used Lariam for both our trips to the Kruger area. Many people take it with no significant side effects, but every camp in S.A. seems to have stories about people who flipped out while on the stuff. We all had vivid, sometimes weird dreams, and all felt a little different emotionally. I personally feel tired and depressed while on Lariam, and I'm a pretty stable guy.<BR>For our next trip, I plan to avoid the mossie season (remember that Spring in SA is Fall for us northerners), use some other medication for prevention, and be absolutely rigid about mosquito precautions (deet, long clothes, nets, etc). For me, Lariam takes the fun out of the trip. Whatever you choose, don't just trust to luck- malaria is bad stuff.

Myriam Nov 12th, 2001 10:15 AM

I will never ever take Lariam again. Side effects are absolutely not overrated, not in my case anyway. My husband didn't have any and keeps using Larium when going to Africa or Asia. <BR>I take the combination Nivaquine / Paludrine which, according to our health service, is only a little less effective and has absolutely no side effects. Mosquitos are becoming more and more immune to frequently used drugs.

miriam Nov 12th, 2001 02:39 PM

My husband and I stayed at Inyati which is a private game reserve in Kruger. We both took Larium-1 pill per week starting 2 weeks before going and continuing 2 weeks after coming back. No problem. Also our room had cans of bug spray which we used before going out. We were there in February-didn't see any mosquites. Interestingly enough-on the flight back to Johannesburg just before we took off the stewardesses went up and down the aisles spraying for mosquitoes. Have a great trip!

christine Nov 15th, 2001 03:09 AM

Consult the malaria section of the SA Parks Board site www.parks-sa.co.za.

L Nov 15th, 2001 06:41 AM

Just completed our seventh, final Lariam, and no problems at all. This is the drug of choice by Kaiser Permanente in the DC area ... so, the reactions, if any, will vary by individual. You'll see that at the camps they do spray, and have fans and netting to protect you ... but above the Tegala in SA you need to take something. And use DEET as well, and stay away from dark clothing. Ciao

Jenny Nov 15th, 2001 07:24 AM

I've taken both Larium and the Nivaquine / Paludrine combination, and been much happier on the latter - had mad dreams, sleepwalked, etc. with the Larium. However, still take the mozzie repellent, and cover up in the evenings - we found light shirts and trousers enough.<BR><BR>Don't stress too much about it, though - I only got one bite, and usually they LOVE me!

Jenny Nov 15th, 2001 07:25 AM

I've taken both Larium and the Nivaquine / Paludrine combination, and been much happier on the latter - had mad dreams, sleepwalked, etc. with the Larium. However, still take the mozzie repellent, and cover up in the evenings - we found light shirts and trousers enough.<BR><BR>Don't stress too much about it, though - I only got one bite, and usually they LOVE me! Be sensible, but not overly paranoid....