Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   4 days in Egypt, 4 in Israel: Suggestions needed! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/4-days-in-egypt-4-in-israel-suggestions-needed-64604/)

Kevin Mar 6th, 2000 06:52 PM

4 days in Egypt, 4 in Israel: Suggestions needed!

I am going to Egypt and Israel (Jerusalem) for 9 days total (not including travel time). I am looking for suggested minimum time requirements for the following sites. Believe me, I know that I really should allocate more that 4 or 5 days to each country, but unfortunately this is all I can afford! <BR> <BR>Can someone suggest time reasonable time alotments and ratings for: <BR>Karnak <BR>Valley of Kings/Queens <BR>Egyptian museum <BR>Giza plateau (including pyramids) <BR>Luxor <BR>Aswan <BR>Saqqara <BR> <BR>Dome of rock <BR>West wall <BR>Dead sea <BR>Masada <BR>Mount of Olives <BR>Tower of David <BR>Via Dolorosa <BR>Shrine of the Book (Museum) <BR> <BR>Any other suggestions are more than welcome. Just a quick note - I ask because I had an experience at Stonehenge which changed my planning approach dramaticly: I spent an entire day at a site that takes about 45 minutes to really absorb. I don't want to repeat the mistake! <BR> <BR>Thanks!!!

Cindy Mar 8th, 2000 05:30 PM

Kevin, <BR>You are going to have a great time. I think that you should spend at least one day at the pyramids and one day on the Nile cruise. haven't been to Israel so have no suggestions there. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Rosemary Mar 8th, 2000 05:48 PM

Kevin, you can see the Egyptian Museum and the Pyramids in one day. For Sakkarah, another day. Then you'll have to fly to Luxor to visit the Valley of the Kings, Karnak, etc. You'll want to go inside at least one tomb (Rameses?) I'm told King Tut's Tomb is not the one to choose because everything has been taken out and put in the Museum in Cairo. <BR> <BR>The Egyptian Museum really should not be rushed through. There is so much to see. <BR>You could also fly to Luxor or Aswan and take a 3-4 day cruise between the two, seeing nearly everything you mentioned. Of course the Museum and Pyramids are seen from Cairo. <BR>I know there are many other itineraries, but I believe it's in Aswan that you can take the felluca and see the Mausoleum of the Aga Khan (sp) and Kirchener's Botanical garden. <BR> <BR>In Israel a four day tour will take you to Galilee, the Jordan Valley, Tiberias, Mt. of Beatitudes, Capernaum. Next day the Dead Sea and Masada and the place where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered at Qumran. Next day a tour of Jerusalem, Bethlehem with all the usual places to stop, which you mentioned. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. We're planning to. <BR> <BR>Rosemary <BR> <BR> <BR>

Kevin Mar 11th, 2000 11:13 AM

Thanks Rosemary! <BR> <BR>Do you know if the Nile cruise is limited to 3-4 days. I was hoping to do that over the course of two nights. (Leave at night, full day cruise, arrive in Luxor/Aswan next morning) Does the cruise stop during the day at various sites - and if so - I wonder if 'they' allow ample time for sight seeing: I hate being rushed! <BR> <BR>Thanks again for your suggestions!

Eran Mar 12th, 2000 09:53 AM

Hi Kevin <BR>I'm what you could call, a native Israeli. <BR> If you have only 4 days i reccomend you situate yourself in the old city of Jerusalem. you can make a day trip to the Dead sea (45 minutes drive)and to Jerrico(on the way to the Dead Sea).Near the Old city, you can find the American collony Hotel(amazing and othentic old Hotel).you should treat yourself to breakfast there.other then that, there is the old armenian quarter (jewlarry and stuff), the Cardo (an old quarter of jerusalem that was reconstructed) and the old city market near Nablus Gate <BR>Have fun and let me know how it was. <BR>PS Tel Aviv is only one Hours drive from Jerusalem and is well worth the drive espessialy on friday afternoons in shenkin street and Nachlat Binyamin ally. <BR>

Chris Ritchie Mar 19th, 2000 08:29 AM

Kevin, <BR> <BR>My girlfriend and I just got back from 2 and a half weeks in Egypt. If you're going to be there for 4 days I would suggest the following: <BR> <BR>Day 1: Pyramids at Giza in the morning followed by the Egyptian museum in the afternoon. The museum is a little quieter after lunch. One day in Cairo is all you need (want) since it is very noisy and dirty. <BR> <BR>Day 2: You can take an overnight train (first class only!) to Luxor (or fly) and arrive the second day. The Luxor area is by far the most beautiful and interesting part of Egypt. There are many interesting temples nearby (Karnak for example) and on the west bank of the Nile the tombs of hundreds of Pharoahs and nobles are fantastic. If you want to get in to see Nefertari's tomb, be aware you must get there by 5am (that's right 5am)as only 100 entry tickets are sold each day and they go fast. We arrived at 6am and they were sold out. You can easily spend two or three days in Luxor and just begin to scratch the surface. If you have time you may want to fly to Abu Simbel in the south. It is perhaps the most incredible thing to see in Egypt. <BR> <BR>Day 4: Unfortunately you will probably have to head back to Cairo to fly to Israel (or home). If you can fly out of Luxor this will afford you more time to see the attractions. <BR> <BR>Hope you have a wonderful time. Just be prepared for non-stop hassle by Egyptians trying to sell you everything under the sun!

Kevin Mar 19th, 2000 12:22 PM

Chris, <BR>That sounds great. I think I will take your advice on Luxor. Thanks for the suggestions. Can you recommend a good place to stay in Luxor (around $50 per night or less)?

John Mar 21st, 2000 03:58 PM

Hi, Kevin, <BR>The Shrine of the Book is adjacent to the Israel Museum, which is a must-see in Jerusalem IMO. Also I'd suggest you visit Yad Vashem, the Holocaust memorial. Be advised Jerusalem (except the Arab Quarter) is very quiet on Friday evening and Saturday before sunset, with many facilities (including restaurants) closed. Plan ahead if you want an alternate. (Tel Aviv is more lively on the Jewish Sabbath.)