Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   4 Day Extension after Ngorongoro,Ndutu,Serengeti in Feb 2011 (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/4-day-extension-after-ngorongoro-ndutu-serengeti-in-feb-2011-a-853204/)

TigerPhotog Aug 5th, 2010 07:27 AM

4 Day Extension after Ngorongoro,Ndutu,Serengeti in Feb 2011

Wanted your opinions...

A family traveling with me to TZ in Jan end 2011 wants a 4 day safari extension after having done the usual Northern circuit (crater,ndutu,seronera, LMNP).

I was thinking 1 day/night at Arusha NP and 3 at Tarangire ???

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

TP

lbj2 Aug 5th, 2010 08:26 AM

Why head back to Arusha, that is a night wasted.....?

Extend where ever you are staying, or send them back to Ndutu at that time of year.

TigerPhotog Aug 5th, 2010 10:31 AM

The thing is, I have a group with me and the other bookings are already done. This came in as a last minute request from a family in the group(extension)...after all bookings have been made/paid for. LM NP is the last leg on our way back...

jules39 Aug 5th, 2010 10:37 AM

We have been to Tarangire in Feb twice once at the beginning of an itin the same as yours & once at the end! I think it is a good idea. I haven't been to Arusha NP so cannot comment on that but there have been some good reports on it here.

FrankS Aug 5th, 2010 10:48 AM

topping, because I too am a 1st timer & thinking Tarangire and Lake Manyara

Leely2 Aug 5th, 2010 11:13 AM

I really like Arusha NP but it might seem like a bit of a letdown after Serengeti. We visited ANP before heading out to the Northern Circuit. However if they want to wind down a bit before traveling home, it could be great. It's small but peaceful, lots of giraffes, monkeys, good fro birding, etc. I think you can still canoe there. And yes, 3 nights Tarangire is ideal.

sandi Aug 5th, 2010 11:57 AM

While you did mention "extended safari" - being that it's Feb, which is "summer" in Tanzania, maybe they'd consider heading off to the coast. They can fly from Manyara via Arusha to ZNZ, or drive to Arusha and pick-up the flight here.

TigerPhotog Aug 5th, 2010 02:12 PM

Sandi,

I forgot to mention that these are wildlife fanatics...going to a beach won't work for their extension :-).

Thx, all for the replies! Tarangire sounds like an additional place for them to see/enjoy.

Like LBJ2 said, going back towards Arusha for ANP does not sound correct in this case...we could head straight from LMNP to Tarangire, instead (I like that idea). But then , I have to send the rest of the people in the other jeep back to JRO on their own...(thinking out aloud).

Thx!

sandi Aug 5th, 2010 02:20 PM

Tiger -

Figured as much, but didn't want to overlook an option they may not have thought about.

From LMNP, it's about 2/hrs to Tarangire.

TigerPhotog Aug 5th, 2010 02:28 PM

Thanks, Sandy, appreciate the help. 2 hrs drive isn't that bad from LMNP, I will suggest Tarangire.

Do you have any advice/suggestion for a lodge inside the park ?
Or is it better to stay outside the park and try a night safari ?

I have a feeling that these folks might not like the camping experience.

TP

TigerPhotog Aug 5th, 2010 02:29 PM

Oops.. Sandi :)