Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > 4 continents in 4 weeks: clothes and internal air lines weight issues - help

4 continents in 4 weeks: clothes and internal air lines weight issues - help

Oct 15th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

4 continents in 4 weeks: clothes and internal air lines weight issues - help

The time is drawing near. We leave Sydney on Dec 23rd, pick up my daughter in Toronto, have Xams there, spend a couple of nights in London. NYE night will be spent en route to DAR. So excited about the trip but also retrieving DD.
Our big problem is that we are leaving Sydney in the summer and then spending 5 nights in Toronto and 2 nights in London (Both winter of course) and then flying down to Tanzania for 12 days (safari in the Serengeti and 3 days in Zanzibar) and finally on to South Africa for two weeks.
Our internal Tanzanian flights are with with Zanair and Coastal. The total weight limit including carryon is 15kg. Has anyone flown with them -if so - how strict were they?

We are travelling as a party of 3 - will they take the total weight to be 45kg or do we need to make sure each individual does not exceed 15kg?

Fitting everything into 15kg is a major problem given the weather changes. I've got some old ski jackets which we will leave behind in London. Our lightweight thermals can probably be used for pyjamas etc. I've bought light weight zipoff pants and quick dry t shirts and shirts. We are buying the vests online and will pick them up in Toronto (a lot cheaper than having them shipped to Australia). Thanks for all the wonderful Fodorite advice that I have gleaned from this sit over the past six months.

Our first week in South Africa will be with friends so I'm thinking about sending a few summer outfits over to them now by seamail. Our clothes for the safari aren't the most fashionable and of course are quite limited. Has anyone mailed clothes ahead?
On top of all this, my 14yr old daughteris studying in Toronto & just told me she has bought almost $1,000 worth of winter clothes. God knows what it will cost me to send them home. (of course she had to buy them, Sydney winter clothes just wouldn't cut in November and December in Toronto!)
Any advice welcomed.
Oct 15th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Would it be possible for you to leave one bag with all of your winter clothes at a hotel or tour operator's office in Dar while you're on your safari and in Zanzibar?
Oct 15th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

We are only transiting in DAR so the hotel is out. I asked ATR about leaving a bag at the airport but they said it is definitely not advised due to poor security. I don't think ATR has anyone on the ground in DAR - just Arusha.
Oct 16th, 2005, 04:24 AM
sandi

You shouldn't have weight limit problem on any of your Int'l flights. Once in Tanzania (gather you're arriving in DAR) and from here flying to Arusha for a road safari or are you flying direct to Serengeti?

It's this flight from Dar to Arusha and/or Arusha to the Serengeti that would be the issue, but if your outfitter doesn't have an office in DAR be sure they advise the airport personnel and you should be able to take your extra stuff with you to Arusha (be sure this clothing is packed in a soft duffle bag without wheels or metal pull-up handles). If flying DAR/Arusha, you can leave this extra bag with outfitter in Arusha (they have to meet you here)- drive or fly for your safari. When you return to Arusha whether by road or air for connecting flight to ZNZ, your outfitter will have to meet you at this airport before flying to ZNZ.

From ZNZ to DAR - presume you are flying from here to South Africa - since it's technically a connecting flight for your Intl flight, there should be no problem with the extra weight.

Inasmuch as you are flying around the world and your outfitter is aware of this, they should be able to work with you considering your circumstances and coordinating holding some of your excess stuff as the most convenient connecting airport.

We found that when doing internal flights - they didn't weigh, or if they did it was combined with all our bags. We were overweight and in Kenya they wanted additional excess fees, but we "talked/smiled" ourselves out of these.

Discuss with your outfitter.

Oct 17th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Sandi, Patty

Thanks for your advice - I'll get onto my outfitter. I was told Zanair charges $1 per kilogram for overweight luggage so if we get hit I guess it won't be the end of the world. Does anyone know if this is right as it isn't stated on Zanair's website.
I'm still thinking on sending some dressier summer clothing onto South Africa as we won't need it before we get to Durban.
Oct 17th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Hello,

You could always post stuff home as you go (post the winter stuff from London, etc). If you do it the slow way (surface/sea mail) it will take a long time but shouldn't be too expensive.

Alternatively, bring old clothes and donate them to charity (Oxfam, etc) on the way out.

Cheers,
Julian
Oct 18th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Julian
We planned on doing that with the ski jackets but it is also a good idea for heavier winter clothing.
Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

We've arrangedthough our operator to leave a bag with Coastal at DAR. Our last flight from Zanzibar to DAR is with Coastal so we will pick it up on the way through.

Search this Thread