has anyone been to Gumbet,Turkey?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:35 AM
Fiona

has anyone been to Gumbet,Turkey?

I have already tried to the Europe forum but did not get any replies.
We are going to Gumbet, in the Bodrum Peninsula. Can anyone give us any info on Gumbet, or the Azarlik Beach Hotel? What would be the recommended trips? Is Ephesus a long drive from there? Any help would be much appreciated!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:48 PM
fiona

Surely SOMEONE'S been there??!!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 03:24 AM
ruth

Found your plea by accident. Yes went there about 8 years ago. It was a small village just outside Bodrum. It was getting quite built up and I understand Bodrum is now jumping! However, we had a lovely time. Do go to Ephesus, even though it is a long trip. it is absolutely fascinating. Also go to Pummakale (sp?), which is interesting and also Cappadochia and Olu Deniz. Many of the trips are a good day or overnight, but if you are interested in history, its hard to beat Turkey. The Turkish people I found to be consistently friendly, hospitable and honest. I bought a rug while I was out there from a co-op, run with fair wages for the workers (you could walk around and see the rugs being made). They shipped it and I have it to this day in my sitting room. One of the best purchases I ever made. you will love Turkey!!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Ariel

Fiona - I've been all over the Bodrum peninsula, but haven't been to Gumbet (or at least I don't remeber it). My husbands family has a small house between Yalikavak and Torba. These two sites have (very) little bit of info about Gumbet. Click on the word "Gumbet" on each one to see a picture and read a small bit about it:

http://www.bodrum-info.org/English/peninsula/index.htm

http://www.bodrum-turkey.com/Peninsula/P%20Map.htm

You can easily do a number of day trips from the area, whether from Gumbet or from Bodrum. your hotel will have info on how to take organized tours, otherwise I'll need to get a map of the area to rive there. I reco going to see Efes and Dalyan. Also take the dolmus (bus) from town to town to get a flavour for the area. Camel Beach is very nice. We also enjoy Yalikavak - still fairly innocent. Head to Troba for a wonderful beach (no shower). At most places you can grab a table for shade just buy a small drink at you can sit for hours.

Hope this helps.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:17 AM
fiona

thanks Ruth and Ariel!! Unable to reply sooner as I was on my holiday!!! Ruth you wouldn't recognise Gumbet now, it is huge. In fact a bit too big for my liking.But yes the Turkish people are a really friendly people.
Ariel, if I returned to the Bodrum Peninsula I would go to either Yalikavak or Turgutreis

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:14 PM
People

Also
www.silkroadhotels.com