3 days in Cape Town & beyond; fun stuff & weather?

Aug 15th, 2000, 09:21 PM
Trisha

3 days in Cape Town & beyond; fun stuff & weather?

A girlfriend and I have 3 days in CT before hooking up with a group and camping thru Namibia and Botswana (Richtersveld, Sossousvlei, Etosha, Okavango...), finishing up at Victoria Falls. Can anyone give us the lowdown on the weather (temps and raingear necessity) as well as the mosquito count for any or all of those areas?
And how does one possibily do all the fun things there are to do in CT in 3 days??!! We thought of checking out the town and hiking up/around Table Mountain day 1; doing a hike/bike trip to Cape Point day 2; and visiting the townships day 3. Any way of fitting Robben Island, the winelands and whale watching into that schedule?! The info I have gives prices, but not hours or how long the trips last. Does anyone have any comments on doing these trips thru the hostels (we are staying at Ashanti Lodge) or Daytrippers? Is Ashanti in a good location?
Thanks for sharing,
Trisha

Aug 21st, 2000, 07:14 AM
Tracy

Hi Trisha

As you say, 3 days is a very short time. You don't mention what time of year you will be travelling which can make a big difference regarding what to take with you. One thing is sure, DO NOT take any changes and take the necessary precautions against malaria. You will need it for Vic Falls. I'm wondering why you want to go to the townships in Cape Town? This seems like a waste of a day. You will see all you want when you land at Cape Town International Airport and the aircraft flies low over a squatter camp on the way in to land. Gugeletu etc, are not like Soweto and not geared towards tourists at all. Also, I know locals who will not set foot in these areas - even the people who live there are nervous - due to gang activities. Fortunately though, it is VERY localised and restricted to these areas. My advice is to give the townships a miss and rather spend that day on the wine route. If you hire a car you can drive yourself to the wine route, spend half a day and lunch there and then drive back via Gordon's Bay to see if you can catch sight of some whales. To fit Robben Island into your plans, save yourself some time and take the cable car up Table Mountain. That will turn the excursion into half a day and you can then make the trip out to the island. Remember that Table Mountain can also be closed if set for lunch, translation: it's covered in clouds. Contact me directly with the time you will be travelling and I'll give you a better indication of the type of clothing to pack. I'm not familiar with Ashanti Lodge - forward the street address and I'll let you know about this as well.

Search this Thread