3 days at Governors Camp

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days at Governors Camp

As some of you know, this is my first safari and I am trying to figure out clothes. I will be at Governors Camp the last 2 days of Oct. first day of Nov. and was wondering for sleeping are the tents heated at all, blankets? What would be the best sleeping attire. I tend to get cold easily. I am also going on the early morning balloon ride so again what attire.Also on another topic, I needed to get the Yellow fever vaccination because during my week in Uganda, I will be working in the hospitals. I did have a reaction. I had it on the 7th and then forgot about it, went on a business trip to Belgium and on the 15th woke up with a very sore neck and what seemed like a large bump in the back of my neck. I had it for 4 days and when returned from Belgium on the 19th went to the clinic and they told me it was the vaccine I had received and that I also had a fever. By the 21st I was feeling fine again. So it was not a big deal, but surprised me because I had never thought about getting a reaction to this. Any help on my packing question would be appreciated.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:11 AM

Governor's is not a dressy camp so you won't need smart clothes for dinner.

I can't give advice on exactly how warm it is in October as I went in April but I know that there are weather websites with historical records that allow you to enter a date and get temperature/ weather records for last several years.

I would advise taking layers as the temperature really varies within a day. In the balloon it can be quite cool but when they fire the thingie the heat of it can really burn on your arms so a long-sleeve top may be a good idea.

Take decent torches too - most of the tents do not have electric light and I couldnt see worth a damn by the paraffin lamps they provide - hard to see my clothes etc when waking in darkness for balloon ride/ early drives.

They do have a few tents with electricity - you may be able to get one. I didn't feel paraffin made the experience more authentic than electric lights - just an artifice in my opinion.

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:04 AM

Lyban, when I was in the Mara in June two years ago the tent temperature in the morning was 12°. The average temperatures for Octubre are slightly higher than for June. I had a very nice warm duvet (they probably have those at Governor’s as well) and had I been going to work instead of going on a game drive in the Mara, leaving the bed would have been quite a struggle. I just got up and dressed very quickly. As Kavey says, layers are the way to go.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:38 AM
sandi

The mornings and nights will be cool, but by October you're actually going into Spring for Kenya. We've found that all the camps we've ever stayed provide more then sufficient blankets... even extras if you need. We never slept in more than a t-shirt and were perfectly fine... even in June when it would be late Fall.

It's still a good idea to dress in layers in the morning (afternoon) game drives - with a thermal-t, or regular t-shirt under a shirt and a jacket or sweater. If, however, your game drives are in open vehicles, be prepared for wind when the driver takes off across the plains. So, it's a good idea to dress warmer - have a scarf, gloves and do wear socks.

Granted you'll only be visiting for a few days; you don't really need anything special other then comfy slacks (2) a few t-shirts and a jacket/sweater.

Many camps have gone from parafin lamps (the smell is terrible) to those battery powered lamps... this may be the case at Governor's, but don't expect to be able to see much inside your tent, once the natural light disappears, regardless which type lamp used. That's camping!

Sorry to hear of your reaction to the Yellow Fever inoculation; on occasion this does happen though varies by individual. Thankfully, we didn't have any reactions, not even a sore arm.

Enjoy your holiday. We'll be waiting for your report.

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:02 AM

As it can be cool in the evening nights, pack warm clothes that can be removed during the day as it warms up.

Since you'll be doing the balloon ride too, suggest that you carry some head protection. Depending where you are on the balloon the :big flame" can warm your pip quite substantially. At the least where a peak cap to prtect your nose and top of head from getting burnt.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for the replies. There are some good ideas here and I will be using them in my packing. Great to be able to get on here and have your questions answered.