What to Wear at the Ancient Sites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Egypt in about 10 days and am wondering if rugged walking sandals are okay for visiting the ancient sites or are hiking shoes better? Is it acceptable to wear shorts and t-shirts (for women) when visiting these sites from a Nile cruise? Thanks for your help/suggestions.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:12 AM
sandi

Shorts and t-shirts are fine for women when at sites while on the cruise.

While in Cairo, Bazaar or Old Cairo (visit to Mosques) no shorts, sleeveless or backless.

You can go with walking-length shorts, though with capri-length you might feel more comfortable for visit to Giza, Pyramids, Sphinx, Saqqara, Memphis; also in Luxor (Valley of Kings/Queens) or Aswan and Abu Simbel.

The further south (Upper Egypt) you go, the hotter it gets, though the evenings can cool down up to 30 degrees from daytime temps.

As to type of shoes - well you can wear Teva-type sandles, but there is lots of uneven ground; some sites can be crowded, so watch people stepping on toes. We found that most people wore their slip-in Keds, mocassins, or tennis shoes. With the latter, greatly suggest wearing socks, or you'll likely wind up with blisters.

Evenings on cruise or Cairo, Luxor and Aswan, long pants/skirt with whatever top you wish - and a shawl or lt. weight blazer for the cool air.

Note: There is no air conditioning at the Egyptian Museum with the exception of the Tut exhibit and the Mummy Room. Though the building feels cool upon entering, with the crowds it does get rather warm - think "fan" (hand-held or small battery operated).

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 03:37 PM

When we were there 2 years ago we felt more comfortable with knees covered - preferably with looser fitting pants or capris. Looser knit or woven shirts were fine - the issue is really how revealing the garment is. I had expected to have to cover my head in mosques and old Coptic churches in Cairo - but saw not one local person with head covered.

In Egypt, adult men do not wear shorts - it is considered like wearing underwear on the street. It was amazing to see men in suit jackets and long wool pants in 100 degree heat.

I wore sturdy sandals or sneakers/running shoes everywhere.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 03:51 AM

in fact i think sandi and gail told you what u ask about exactly but i would like to tell u that in egypt no regulations for foreigners except making sex in front of other people..u have absolute freedom.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:52 AM
sandi

Gail -

>>In Egypt, adult men do not wear shorts - it is considered like wearing underwear on the street.<<

They might not wear shorts in the street, but many of them had walking shorts under their gallabeyas. The crew on our cruise boat showed us - those that were brave enough. It was a hoot!

As to headcoverings - we saw many Egyptian girl and women wearing either plain black, white or beautiful scarves as headcoverings with school uniforms or business suits/dresses. In the Bazaar there were many women covered head-to-toe in black.

As foreigners, visiting a few mosques we were prepared to cover our heads, but it wasn't necessary. Though people who showed up in shorts were given these "green cape-like" coverups. They looked like comic book characters. Another reason to be dressed appropriately.