25 bird photos (Tanzania - January 07)

Feb 12th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

25 bird photos (Tanzania - January 07)

Still working on an illustrated trip report, but in the meantime here are links to a few of our favorite bird photos from our recent trip to Lake Manyara, Ndutu and Ngorongoro (thanks Janet-Z for pushing me on this ).

Except for the flamingos, which we specifically targeted at Ndutu, all the others were simply grab shots as we drove around with the camera gear ready on top of the jeeps and fired away when we could get close.

If you have a slow link start here for the first five and the others are posted 5 at a time for easier downloading ...

http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...07/birds_1.htm

If you have a fast link then all the pics are on this page ...
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...best-birds.htm

Bill
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Great
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Hello Bill,
Wonderful pictures,really nice closed ups.That ground hornbill with the grasshopper is fantastic and Carolyn´s ground hornbill portrait ...awesome.

Paco.
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Outstanding!!

You will make birders out of all of us!!!

Feb 12th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Stunning shots especially lesser flamingo and hornbill.
Thanks for sharing.
Eric
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:50 AM
santharamhari

=D> wow!!!

Hari

Feb 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM

What a treat to see these pictures, Bill! Your composition is outstanding. I can only imagine the patience you must have had in getting some of these shots.
Feb 12th, 2007, 09:59 AM
skimmer

Bill,

A real feast for the eye.

Congratulations

Feb 12th, 2007, 10:02 AM

What an incredible assortment, thanks!
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM

hi bill, great to hear from you!

The photos are absolutely marvelous!
How many mm's do you use again?

I can't rely compete with my bird pictures im afraid:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikao/tags/bird/
mostly taken with 400mm (200mm + 2x converter)

did you also went out on the plains at sunrise near Ndutu to see the thousands and thousands of European Storks fly out of the woodlands into the plains??!
Feb 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM

P R O F E S S I O N A L!

I shook my head and laughed out loud at the grasshopper in the mouth of the ground hornbill.

Just a bunch of grab shots.

WOW!!!!
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Bill, these are just stunning. I became a birder in Tanzania while traveling with 4 avid birders and these pictures take me right back. The groundbill with the grasshopper is truly amazing and I love your picture of my favorite bird: the secretary bird.....
Thanks so much for sharing them with us.
Kathy
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:21 PM

Bill & Carolyn...

Brilliant! So difficult to pick a favorite, but I guess the ground hornbill with grasshopper would have to go close.

John
Feb 12th, 2007, 08:10 PM

Super bird photos, thanks.
That grasshopper jumping through the hornbill's open mouth, wow, what daring, the Evil Knievel of the grasshopper world !!!!!
regards - tom
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

hi bill, great to hear from you!

Hi Nikao, sorry we didn't see you while in the Ndutu area ... the two days we overlapped we were at Gol kopjes and then far to the south near Muswa and didn't see any other jeeps either day. I think your tented camp was actually on the Serengeti side of the lake?

Congratulations on the wild dog photos, those were incredible!! The other jeep we were traveling with got the striped hyena near Ndutu, but we didn't see it (but we did get five honey badgers instead).

How many mm's do you use again?

Usually the 500 mm, often with a 1.4x converter. Another 1.3x picked up from the smaller digital sensor ... so equivalent to about 900 mm for a 35 mm camera.

did you also went out on the plains at sunrise near Ndutu to see the thousands and thousands of European Storks fly out of the woodlands into the plains??!

Yes, we saw them leave twice and they were roosting near the lodge a couple of times ... not enough color to make my top 25 list though

Sounds like you had your best chances up north with the dogs but I'd like to hear how you liked the Ndutu area compared to the other places you visited this trip.

Bill

Feb 13th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

That grasshopper jumping through the hornbill's open mouth, wow, what daring, the Evil Knievel of the grasshopper world !!!!!

Hi Tom ... well, what actually happens is the hornbill catches the hopper and holds it with the tip of its beak, then it tosses it in the air and grabs it about mid-way down the beak, then it flips it one more time down the gullet.

So this hopper was already dead and just getting repositioned a bit ... lucky that we caught it evenly spaced, unlucky that the light was on the wrong side. But I'm not complaining, it was really cool watching these birds hunt at close range.

Bill
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:17 AM

I think your tented camp was actually on the Serengeti side of the lake?
That's right, which was really good, because we've hardly seen any other cars
(we had NCAA + Serengeti permits the first 2 days, the day of transit to Suyan we only had serengeti)

Congratulations on the wild dog photos, those were incredible!!
Thx! Im really happy we got the chance to see them , and actually get some (good) pictures of it as well

The other jeep we were traveling with got the striped hyena near Ndutu, but we didn't see it
We saw 2 of them, so they seem to be around Ndutu quite a lot (did see one last year at Ndutu as well)

(but we did get five honey badgers instead).

That's amazing! Was it still light enough for pictures?
We did see 1 around ndutu as well, but no light for pictures

Sounds like you had your best chances up north with the dogs but I'd like to hear how you liked the Ndutu area compared to the other places you visited this trip.
I must say I liked Ndutu really much. I'm currently writing my trip report, so I'll tell everything about all the camps in detail there.

I'm very curious for your trip report and the rest of your pictures!
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Wow, as well as the content, composition, colour and perfect lighting of your images I do love the sharp details in several - I'm amazed to see the detail in the eyelashes on that ground hornbill and the feather patterns on the narina trogon and earasian roller... beautiful!

They are all great so it's hard to pick a favourite but I am particularly drawn to that first portrait of the ground hornbill, the trio of little bee eaters, the red and yellow barbet, the fischer's lovebirds and the more abstract, artistic image of the paradise wydah.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Are most of these taken in the early morning/ late afternoon or have you found that you can achieve good lighting/ colour vibrancy during other times of the day too?
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Are most of these taken in the early morning/ late afternoon

Hi Kavey, good question (I can tell you are a photographer).

Off the top of my head I'd have said 15 were probably shot in the AM and 10 in the PM but your query prompted me to actually check the time stamps and to my surprise it's 9 in the morning and 16 in the afternoon. I'll post a sorted list at the end of this message.

or have you found that you can achieve good lighting/ colour vibrancy during other times of the day too?

The only time I feel we can do this is when it's overcast (or shaded) and we are using fill-flash. But if the sun is out it's tough, especially in broken light like in a forest.

The photo of the cordon-bleu is about as late as we'd want to shoot and that one was taken at 10:34 AM, and only included because it's a really cute, hard-to-get (for us anyway) bird.

I personally prefer the light on something like the red bishop, which was shot at 6:22 PM as the sun was going down.

Anyway, good questions ... here are the actual times, first arranged from earliest to latest and then arranged in the same order as the 25 photos on the web page ... the sun wasn't up until about 7 AM.

Bill

7:15 AM Narina trogon (Manyara)
7:41 AM Slate-colored boubou (Manyara)
7:49 AM Lappet-faced vulture (Gol kopjes - Serengeti)
8:37 AM Secretary bird (Ndutu)
8:48 AM Abdim's stork (Ngorongoro)
9:59 AM Yellow-billed oxpeckers (Ndutu)
10:01 AM Paradise whydah (Manyara)
10:13 AM Eurasian roller (Ndutu)
10:34 AM Red-cheeked cordon-bleu (Manyara)

2:59 PM Yellow-fronted canary (Ngorongoro) overcast sky (just stopped raining)
3:10 PM Yellow bishop (Ngorongoro, same day as canary above)
3:30 PM Straw-tailed whydah (Ndutu as we left the lodge)
3:32 PM Fischer's lovebirds (Ndutu)
3:48 PM Greater flamingo (Ndutu)

4:05 PM hornbill with hopper (Manyara)
4:13 PM Southern Ground hornbill (Manyara)
4:39 PM Lilac-breasted roller (Ndutu)

5:15 PM Tawny eagle (Ndutu)
5:18 PM Grey crowned crane (Manyara)
5:37 PM Lesser flamingo (Ndutu)
5:40 PM Little bee-eaters (Manyara)
5:52 PM Red-and-yellow barbet (Manyara)
5:53 PM female Purple Grenadier (Ndutu)

6:04 PM Woodland kingfisher (Manyara)
6:22 PM Southern red bishop (Ndutu)
-----

arranged in the same order as the web page images:

3:48 PM Greater flamingo (Ndutu)
5:37 PM Lesser flamingo (Ndutu)
4:13 PM Southern Ground hornbill (Manyara)
4:05 PM hornbill with hopper (Manyara)
7:15 AM Narina trogon (Manyara)

5:40 PM Little bee-eaters (Manyara)
6:22 PM Southern red bishop (Ndutu)
3:30 PM Straw-tailed whydah (Ndutu)
5:18 PM Grey crowned crane (Manyara)
10:13 AM Eurasian roller (Ndutu)

4:39 PM Lilac-breasted roller (Ndutu)
9:59 AM Yellow-billed oxpeckers (Ndutu)
5:52 PM Red-and-yellow barbet (Manyara)
2:59 PM Yellow-fronted canary (Ngorongoro) overcast sky (just stopped raining)
10:34 AM Red-cheeked cordon-bleu (Manyara)

3:32 PM Fischer's lovebirds (Ndutu)
6:04 PM Woodland kingfisher (Manyara)
5:15 PM Tawny eagle (Ndutu)
8:37 AM Secretary bird (Ndutu)
7:41 AM Slate-colored boubou (Manyara)

7:49 AM Lappet-faced vulture (Gol kopjes - Serengeti)
5:53 PM female Purple Grenadier (Ndutu)
3:10 PM Yellow bishop (Ngorongoro)
8:48 AM Abdim's stork (Ngorongoro)
10:01 AM Paradise whydah (Manyara)
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Stunning photos! I loved them all, but like most here, was very impressed with the hornbill catching the grasshopper. Thanks for sharing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO