Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

24 day Self drive tour in Namibia-Please look this over

Jul 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

This is still a preliminary itinerary because I'm not sure we can get all these places. We have worked around our Etosha reservation, which is confirmed. We're not sure if we're spending too much time in the same area as Etosha and skipping some places we shouldn't miss. Please feel free to suggest changes or other accommodations.

We plan to leave Seattle Sept 26, through Atlanta, fly to Johannesburg, stay overnite. Fly the next morning to Windhoek.

Day 1 -Arrive Windhoek Sept 28 - stay Klein Windhoek Guest House?
Day 2- ? Somewhere nice between Windhoek and Waterburg
Day 3 - Waterburg
Day 4 - "
Day 5,6,7,8,9 - Etosha - Reserved
Day 10 & 11 - Etosha Aoba lodge one night, or Mushara one night or both nights
Day 12 & 13 - Hobatere - Reserved
Day 14 & 15 - Damaraland?
Day 16 - Cape Cross - Reserved
Day 17 & 18 - Sea Breeze - Reserved
Day 19 & 20 - Sossusvlei area?
Our agent said Luderitz and Fish River Canyon would be a long drive out of our way. Are either worth changing our itineraary? It's kind of difficult now and many of the nicer places are already booked for October.
Day 21 & 22 - Kalahari area - The Bagatelle Lodge
Day 23 - somewhere between last place and Windhoek. My husband likes the Farm Duwisib rest camp, I like the Farm Kiripatib, but is only one night enough to even enjoy either place?
Day 24 - Back to Klein Windhoek Guest House or stay second night at Farm Duwisib or Farm Kiripatib

We have a 10:45a.m. flight to Cape Town the morning of day 25. Are these farms too far from the International airport to get there in time? I'm thinking leave around 6a.m.

It would have been easier to just take a tour but dh wants to drive and after reading some posts here, I think we'll enjoy it more at our own speed.

That makes me ask, are these distances workable?

Help, help!

Jul 19th, 2007, 10:14 AM

I haven't been yet so take my advice with a big grain of salt.

By Waterberg, do you mean the park itself or the area in general? Some posters here have commented that they found the park disappointing. Have you thought about staying at Okonjima on your way to Etosha? Maybe it's fully booked already.

Glad you were able to secure accommodations in Etosha. Where are you staying those 5 nights if you don't mind me asking?

I think Eningu Clay House is about an hour from WDH if you want some place within close driving distance on the 24th but outside of Windhoek. We plan to drive directly from Kiripotib back to WDH, but our flight isn't until 3:00pm.

Good luck with the rest of your accommodations and planning!
Jul 19th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patty,
Glad you saw my post. I kept your itinerary and that's where I found Kiripotib farm.

Well some things have changed already.

We're booked the first 2 nights at Hilltop House.

We're booked at Waterberg-Bernabe de la Bat for the next 2.

Oct 2 we're at Okaukuejo restcamp
Oct 3 & 4 Halali restcamp
Oct 5 & 6 Namutoni restcamp

We feel really lucky to get those days, so that's why the rest of the trip is built around that stay.

Oct 7 & 8 Mushara Lodge -

9th to 15 - same

Oct 16 & 17 - could use suggestion for Sossusvlei - all our 1st, 2nd choices are booked

18 & 19 same

20 & 21 Kiripotib booked

I am having doubts that we won't make our early morning flight at 10:45a.m. Have to turn in the rental car, etc. More than half the road is gravel, and only partly paved, so the going will be slow.

I will look at your suggestion, the Eningu Clay House. Kiripotib looks so nice though, we might just decide to leave very early, but then again it could be dark and not safe to drive. Wish we had a later flight now.
Jul 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Have you asked Cardboard Box how long it'll take to drive back to the airport from Kiripotib and what time you should be there to return car, etc.? You could also email the farm directly. Hans has usually been pretty quick in replying to my emails.

Which properties near Sossusvlei did you check that were already booked?
Jul 19th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Cardboard Box said it is about a 2 hour drive, but I think we are slower drivers. I haven't checked on the car rental return yet.

We asked about Sossusvlei Lodge and the Desert Camp. We were hoping to find something not too far away so we can get to the dunes at sunrise. I think there is a pay van to take you the last 4 km, since we're not driving a 4 wheel drive car. Have to check on that.
Jul 19th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Has Sossus Dune Lodge inside the park opened?