2 weeks in Morocco...would you do it?

Dec 31st, 2000, 01:29 PM
annemarie

2 weeks in Morocco...would you do it?

Helping my sister in law with some travel planning. Have been to Morocco for 2 days in the 70's...only Tangiers...fascinating but a little scary. She is puzzled by her brother's recent choice to spend 1 week in a castle somewhere there...?.. and 1 week at a resort on the beach. What can you tell me about Morocco now? These are people that have the travel bug thanks to a recent 'Europe adventure but they are not totally travel savvy.

Jan 1st, 2001, 02:52 PM
Caroline

I'm interested in the same thing! Hope to hear from anyone who has been to Morocco recently. Caroline

Jan 2nd, 2001, 04:51 PM
Timathea

I'm planning to spend two weeks in Morocco with my sister this May. I travel a lot, but have never been there. Sounds AMAZING, but maybe overwhelming for non-travellers. (an option: If they are looking for castles that are more exotic, Spain has a whole series of "Paradors", old castles rennovated into hotels by the government -- beautiful country and Moorish in the South.) The best book I've found is Fodor's First Edition, Morocco (I don't work for the company, it really is a good reference book.) AAA's Essential Morocco is also a good overview. I would suggest they stay in Essaouira for the coastal town.

Jan 3rd, 2001, 03:05 PM
Lia

We are planning a 2-week trip to Morocco in April to visit Marrakech, Fez, Rabat, Casablanca, Essaouria, Safi, El Jadida, Agadir, Ouarzazate and some of the other smaller cities. The beach resort is probably the Italian-owned one in Agadir and they have another location in Marrakech but the resort name escapes me! I know they offer all-inclusive packages at a great price and the only criticism I've encountered about them is that they are too "European" rather than authentic Moroccan. Check General Tours for booking information. I'm looking forward to hearing from others about their trips to Morocco - it's been harder to get information on this area than others I've researched. The tour operators we are considering include Isram, Gate 1, General Tours, Homeric, Y'alla and Sarah Tours. Any recommendations or suggestions for other tour operators?

Jan 3rd, 2001, 03:12 PM
Lia

Now I remember...it's called Club Valtur!

Jan 15th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Sherry

GO!!! We spent 10 days in Morocco in June of 2000 and had a fantastic time. My family includes husband and two teenage daughters. We traveled through Cosmos tours on their Jewels of Morocco tour. Visited Casablanca, Rabat, Meknes, Fez, Erfoud (edge of the Sahara), El Kelaa, and Marrakesh. No trouble at all - people could not have been more helpful. Our luggage was lost and everyone did what they could to help us. Only bother was men in the desert area asking to purchase my daughters...I was offered many camels, goats, etc. Only going to a beach resort would be a shame. The country is so beautiful and has so much to offer. It is NOT for the first time international travelers as accommodations are primitive to US and European standards, however.

Jan 15th, 2001, 02:46 PM
texasgirl

hi, morocco is probably not for the truly inexperienced traveler, but it is also not as scary and threatening as i admit i had been led to believe! it is a beautiful country, very diverse, very lively, but people are truly friendly and good natured. where is this castle, and which beach? To me, Morocco is not a country to go to in order to stay at a resort, or even the beach _ the richness is in the huge diversity of the countryside and the cities, the art, the food, the architecture. ( i have never seen such beautiful tilework!) To really get the most out of Morocco, it would seem you need to be able to travel around rather than stay put in one place.

Jan 15th, 2001, 10:07 PM
ali

dear traveller,

if you wish our help in planning your trip to mprocco,with best available rates ,pls email me direct .

Jan 22nd, 2001, 02:31 AM
gar

hi there,

agrees totaly. Maroc is not a country to stay inside the club. It has that beautiful things to look at as there are the mountains of Atlas, the street of Kashbas, the dessert, the king towns Marrakesh, Fes, Meknes... It is not an very easy country to travel, and you should be a little welltrained in bargain. Never !!!! buy anything before asking about the price, not even a coke. You may pay the doubble or more. And never believe anyone he needs Your help. The only help ne needs is inside a shop by selling You siily thing You dont need for silly prieves. But all the other things are real great. Have fun

Jan 24th, 2001, 08:10 AM
CLIF

I agree. Morocco isn't for everyone and I wouldn't recomend it for a first overseas trip. But, we thought it was incredible. I spent some time in Merrakesh, the Sahara, Essouira, Fes, and Chefchouan. We spent two weeks there last September and had a car and covered a lot of area. I would definately go there again. If anyone has any particular questions, let me know.

Jan 24th, 2001, 09:00 AM
IRV

GO!!!
I took the Globus Spain, Portugal & Morocco trip with 8 days in Morocco. It's a fairyland. I usually travel throughout Europe, but since seeing Morocco I need exotic trip. If you visit Rabat, go behind the wall across the street from the Mohammed V tomb. It's where the locals, work & shop and It's very safe.

Feb 6th, 2001, 10:31 AM
marrakesh

to the top

Search this Thread