2 week honeymoon in S.A. in July?

Dec 10th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

2 week honeymoon in S.A. in July?

Does anyone have an itinerary suggestion for a 2 week honeymoon? We'd like to do the following and could probably take 2 1/2 weeks if necessary:
1) beach/lounge/veg out (for at least the 1st few days)
2) wine route drives/tours
3) safari
We'd like to keep cost low with maybe a little splurge the 1st few nights so if you have any hints (we'd be leaving from Detroit or Toronto) that'd be great. Also, what type of weather should we expect for the 1st two weeks of July?

There seem to be a lot of knowledgable people posting here...your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dec 10th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Canadian Traveller,

In July you face the strong possibilty of wet weather in the southern parts of the country so beaching willl be out HOWEVER the big advantage you will have is that you will be here during the off season and will get some wnderful deals with regard to accommodation etc. It is for this reason that I would suggest you start your journey by flying into George and staying in Knysna. Make your way down the Garden Route towards Cape Town. Take 5 days to do the Garden Route (Including your Knysna stay) and spend 5 days in Cape Town. Therafter I would fly up north and go on a 7 day safari spread over 2 game reserves. If you are on a budget conscious journey then take Captravs idea of travelling through the Kruger Park. If you can spend more then I would look at two private game reserves to vsist on a safari. There are many folk on this board who will be able to help you with ideas as far as these places are concerned.

If you take my tip and start your journey by flying into George and staying in the Knysna area then spoil yourselves and stay at Tsala. The website at http://www.tsala.com/ will tell you all and you certainly will see whay it is an ideal polace to start a honeymoon. Once again with it being July you should obtain a good deal at the venue.

All in all I suggest that you keep us informed as to your plans by writing them up to the FODORS board as there are many over here who I am sure will help you.

I look forward to seeing your planning on this board and will also endeavoiur to help you as best possible with ideas and information.

Thank you for choosing South Africa as your destiantion for this important yourney in your lives. I can assure you that you will not be dissapointed in your choice.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Dec 11th, 2003, 01:15 PM

If beaches are as important as safari, maybe this trip should be to East Africa & Zanzibar (search on Roccco and look at some of his itineraries that include a beach stay). Much closer to the equator, you can comfortably "beach it." Of course you'll miss out on the wine region, but you can save SA for another trip sometime. On the otherhand, you can do a safari in SA or Botswana and then fly to Cape Town and do the wine area and drive the Garden Route.
Dec 11th, 2003, 11:02 PM

I think we're all agreed that in July it's Winter in S.A. But I don't agree with Captrav's inclusion of Durban in the assessment of beach weather. Thousands of South Africans who flock to the KwaZulu-Natal beaches in July would also disagree!

I guess everything is relative, and also personal preference. But for the record, the maximum daily temperature in Durban (and therefore much of the KZN coast) for July in recent years has ranged between 20-24c. And the minimum 8-12c. The average number of days where rain has been recorded in July is 5.
Dec 12th, 2003, 08:56 AM

I live North of Durban on The Dolphin Coast. July was beautiful! I wouldn't just come to this area for the beach, although watching the pods of dolphins is quite something) You can combine it with game reserves both inland and on the Ocean (St. Lucia, Sodwana and Kosi Bay) But again, I don't this is the area to just veg out on the beach. There is too much to do!
Dec 18th, 2003, 06:52 AM

My husband and I spent our 10 day honeymoon in SA last July. We spent 3 nights at Zimbali Lodge in Durban, 3 nights at Phinda Private Game Reserve and 3 nights at Londolozi in that order. It was absolutely perfect. Zimbali is a beach resort but at that time it was too cold to swim (surfers wore full dry suits). But the walks on the beach and through the botanical gardens were very romantic. The lodge organized a cultural tour of the city which was great. We also visited a zulu village. By far our favorite stop was Londolozi. Beautiful 70 degrees and sunny during the day but bring plenty of warm clothes for the game drives. I would go back tomorrow!
Dec 18th, 2003, 10:13 PM

Just a clarification. Myself, I'm VERY fussy about water temperature, I got into my pool for the first time last weekend, but only because it had reached 27c! But for others, I'd be very surprised if the surfers off Zimbali (near Ballito, about 50km N of Durban) were wimps like me, and used drysuits. They would be wetsuits, for comfort during extended surfing. The July (Winter) temperature at that part of the coast is usually 19c.

Search this Thread