Zimbabwe tourist woes continue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's so sad what's happening in Zimbabwe. Tourism continues its freefall.

"Tourism was the country's fastest growing economic sector four years ago but is crumbling - just like everything else in Zimbabwe - as visitors shun the country because of lawlessness, political violence and its poor human rights record."

Article is here: http://www.zwnews.com/issuefull.cfm?ArticleID=10755
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 11:17 PM

This is bad news for wildlife. Already, Wilderness Safaris has shut down at least one of their Zim camps (Ruckomechi), opening up the area to potential poaching.

I wonder how many other camps have shut down???
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 01:03 AM

Bad news for the humans too.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

alice13 - You are so right. Zimbabwe is sick with despotism. That and all the infections that naturallly take hold in a despotic environment (disregard for property rights, no rule of law, bribery, etc.) are killing a beautiful country.

If the Sudan wasn't such a horrible situation - Zimbabwe would top the list for the most tragic story in Africa.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:35 AM

We are travleing in South Africa next May (post elections)and I am torn on visiting Victoria Falls. Part of me says stay in Zambia but the other part says support the people of Zimbabwe by staying there and spending our tourist dollars.
The government is dreadful, corrupt and Zimbabwe needs a change so I am still undecided on where to stay.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:24 PM

We stayed in Zim this past May. Had a fabulous time. Stayed at Illala Lodge. We were treated like royalty. The service was outstanding. Great accommodations. Wonderful grounds. We make it a point to visit places off the beaten path. We were very blessed by the people in Zim. We would visit again in a heart beat.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 12:42 AM

wallybrenda - that's the really hard one, isn't it? On the one hand - if you go you are implicitly supporting the Mugabe regime. On the other - if you don't, even fewer Zimbabweans will have jobs.

I love Zim and have had some fantastic times travelling there - the land, the people and the wildlife. I would go again now as an individual though I supported the stance of the ECB in insisting that they would cancel the proposed England tour to Zim if restrictions were placed on the media.

4 what it's worth, my vote would be to go.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:07 AM

Wallybrenda, if you do decide to stay on the Zim side, be aware that many of the hotels are government owned (with Libya hoding a share in exchange for oil). Try to find an independently owned hotel.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Thanks you to everyone for your feedback ...We were considering the VF Safari Hotel or the Illala. How can I find out if they are independently owned ?? I certainly want my small contribution of tourist dollars staying in Zimbabwe.
Happy Travels,
Brenda
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Before we booked our reservation we emailed and called Illala. We received very prompt replies to our messages. You might could send an email and ask who they are owned by. Then you could research to confirm.