2 questions

Mar 25th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

2 questions

my husband and I are traveling to Kenya in June for a month.
1st question: We are an interracial couple. Does anyone sense a problem with this?
2nd question: We dont own a decent camra for this type of trip, nor do we have any knowledge of camaras. Any suggestions for firdt timers???
Thanks
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:54 AM

Katj, if it's not a problem for you I don't see it being a problem for anyone else?
I would recommend to get a camera with a zoom. But remember not to look through your camera all the time when you see the game. A lot of safari enthusiast make the mistake to only "see" it through camera eyes instead of looking at spectacular stuff and memorizing it first.
Mar 26th, 2004, 05:08 AM
sandi

katj232 -

Karin01 made the point perfectly - if it's not an issue for you, which apparently is isn't, then it certainly won't be in Kenya. You'll be recognized as tourists only, and you'll be welcomed!

As to cameras, I can only comment on 35mm, as I've yet to get "into digital." With technology changing so rapidly the price for many 35mm are relatively inexpensive. So if you don't want to put a lot of money into this - think about this route, but be sure to buy a camera that has a zoom; many small compact 35mm have zooms as much as 200mm. Some models of Canon and Nikon can still be expensive, but there are smaller economical Canon's with large mm zooms that you can consider and that produce excellent photos.

With 35mm you have to remember to bring lots of film which can be found at discount - we've used mostly 200speed, but some people prefer 400speed and 800 to 1000 speed for night photos. You can buy the latter as disosable cameras (probably don't need more than 1 or 2 of these), but these don't often have zoom capabilities, so a roll or two of 36 at 800 is good.

There are also ASP cameras out there that have lots of interesting features - switching film speed cartridges between shots, zooms, panoramic pictures, etc. and quite compact in size. There is special film for these cameras and can also be found at discount. Here too you'll have to bring lots of film cartridges.

Do not forget extra batteries for whichever type of camera you choose. Also pack camera, film, batteries, etc in your carry-on bags; do not pack in checked luggage.

As to digital cameras, some others on this board can provide specifics as my knowledge is still rather basic. Do know, however, that digital cameras have a very big appetite for batteries and you'll have to recharge these daily and always have back-up batteries depending on how long they actually last.

When shopping, be sure to do so at a shop where they sell all kinds of camers - 35mm, ASP & digital - get the salesperson's total attention and ask any questions you have and be certain you get answers you understand. They might push you towards digital as that is the "new kid on the block", but this might not be for you.

Do run a test roll/memory stick upon purchase and have the pictures developed to see the results. And if not satisfied, return it. I would also recommend that you have more than one camera between the two of you. Things break, quirks happen - it can be very disappointing not to have a backup, and having to purchase another camera in Kenya can be costly and you don't know the reputation of the person selling to you.

I travel with two of my own 35mm and a few disposables, just in case.

Wait for info on digitals here - and then go as fully armed as possible and make your decision, not someone elses!

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip. And don't forget to report back here about your experiences.

Mar 28th, 2004, 01:08 PM

Katj
I don't know reactions to interracial couples in Kenya as I was a (single) teen when I was last there.
But I haven't had any reactions to my interracial relationship anywhere I have been.
I will comment on racism in Kenya though - although it was long ago, Kenya is the only country where I have experienced really out and out open racism. I used to say I'd never go back because of it but that was in the 1980s and I should never say never. I'm returning there for a short visit next week.
You haven't mentioned your ethnic background but you should be aware that there are "tensions" between the black and asian communities within Kenya that exist to this day.
How much these will impact tourists anymore, I honestly don't know, but would hope that most tourist enterprises will appreciate all well-mannered and enthusiastic visitors to their country.
Wishing you well,
Kavey

Search this Thread