2 egypt questions

Oct 20th, 2004, 08:33 AM
rmh
Original Poster

2 egypt questions

I will be leaving for my first trip to Egypt in 3 weeks and have 2 questions:

1. I was planning to wear hiking sandals during the day, but saw something here on the website that said shoes were preferable. Not concerned about my feet getting dirty, was thinking sandals more comfortable, would like to hear from all of you with more travel experience.

2. I am considering taking a hot air balloon flight in Luxor. I had read that it is ofter very hazy in the morning and therefore there might not be a lot to see. If any of you have done the hot air balloon ride, could you let me know if it was worthwhile.

thanks in advance for your time in answering these questions.

RMH
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:48 AM

I just came back a couple of weeks ago. Most people in our tour group wore hiking sandals all day. So, if you are not concerned with getting your feet dirty, then it should be no problem.
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:34 PM

I read somewhere (another board?) that they have grounded the Hot Air Ballons in light of the Taba Incident. Now, whether this is true or not? Maybe someone else may know?
Oct 20th, 2004, 06:43 PM

They were actually grounded a few days before the Taba incident. I was told that a hot air balloon drifted off course and landed inside of a military installion. All of the hot air balloon operators got their licenses pulled. The Egyptian Military/Govt. was accusing them of spying. The Taba incident probably has made things worse.
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:55 PM

I often wore sturdy sandals - no problem except dirt and sand - which I did not find troublesome. Have a great trip.
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:04 AM
rmh
Original Poster

thanks for your responses. I appreciate the help. looking forward to a great trip
RMH
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:30 AM
sandi

rmh - What are "hiking sandals?" Are you referring to Teva-type sandals? If not, I'd love to hear. Thanks.

Oct 21st, 2004, 12:10 PM
rmh
Original Poster

Sandi
they are not specifically "hiking" sandals. I just used that term to indicate that they were sturdy sandals. They are actually Easy spirit sandals, but the bottom has tread like a sneaker. They are very comfortable and provide some support for walking long distance. hope that helps
RMH
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:25 PM
sandi

rmh - Interesting. I was just trying to imagine what you were referring to - Easy Spirit make sense. Most all their styles are comfortable for a full day's touring.

It's best to always wear shoes that are well broken in and comfortable; also a good idea to have other shoes to change into in the evening. But be aware that there's lots of uneven ground at sights in Egypt, otherwise even sand wasn't a big issue for us and I was in mocassins or slip-in Keds.

Enjoy your holiday and do report back on your retur.

Oct 25th, 2004, 05:50 AM

We just got back from a 21 day tur in Egypt and while in Luxor I asked about the Balloons and they said they were grounded because of interference with the airport and our tour operator said they weren't sure when they would be up again. So if that helps any that was about three weeks ago.

As for the shoes wear was is most comfortable. honestly I saw women in high heals in some places, don't know why, But they were. I wore tennis shoes that had plenty of airvents for breathing and that was very nice. But sandles will work great too. Just make sure they are comfortable as you will be doing a LOT of walking.

Have fun!
Oct 28th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Hi
I emailed a couple of ballooning companies. I've recieved 1 response, but it's only been a day, so I'm hopping for more. Here is the response I got. It doesn't say anything about the balloons being grounded. I'm going to Egypt next week and the balloon experience is one I really want to have.

Thank you for contacting us. We operate several daily flights, however all in the early hours of the day starting at sunrise. The price per passenger is BP 90.00 or Euro 125.00. The price is inclusive of transfers from/to hotel, boat crossing the Nile to/from the west bank. Please let us know now of your preferred date during your stay in Luxor, and we will recommend possibilities.

Regards

Mona
Reservations

Egyptian Airship & Balloon Co. S.A.E
6 Salah EL Din Street
11211 Zamalek
Cairo - Egypt

[email protected]
tel (202) 7383751 - 59
fax (202) 7383761
Oct 28th, 2004, 08:36 AM
rmh
Original Poster

Laura,
Thanks for the information. Sounds as though I will be able to include the balloon ride. I leave next Sat & am really looking forward to the trip
Oct 28th, 2004, 03:15 PM

Hi
Maybe we'll see you there. We're leaving on Wed. It would be a trip (pun intended) if we ended up in the same balloon. I know you're going to have a great time.

Search this Thread