Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > 2.5 days for solo female traveler: Bahar Dar or Axum?
Notices

2.5 days for solo female traveler: Bahar Dar or Axum?

Oct 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

2.5 days for solo female traveler: Bahar Dar or Axum?

If you could choose only Axum or Bahar Dar which one would it be? I have about 2.5 days free before I join a group trip tp Gondar, Lalibela and Simien Mtn. Any recommendations on Axum vs Bahar Dar or whether it might even be worthwhile to try to fly to both of them in that time period before returning to Addis? Logistically I can manage the two but a day in each place may be more trouble than its worth. Ill be traveling alone, although could hire a guide, so the hassle factor is something I want to take into consideration. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Oct 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM

We visited both in January 2007, and we preferred Axum to Bahar Dar. Both had some nice highlights -- Bahar Dar has the lakeside monestaries and the Blue Nile Falls, and Axum has the Stelae Fields, the underground tombs, the "Palace of Queen Sheba" and the chapel that supposedly contains the Ark of the Covenant. But we liked Axum more because it was smaller, less touristy and we liked the ancient historical sights there. I think the smaller size and smaller number of tourists would make the hassle factor less, although we had a guide with us, so that made it easier for us.
You can see our pictures from both places at www.pbase.com/cwillis/ethiopia, if that helps you decide.

Have a great time in Ethiopia!
Chris

Search this Thread