Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > 2 1/2 weeks on the Cape & Capetown in late Sept. 03 - Help!

2 1/2 weeks on the Cape & Capetown in late Sept. 03 - Help!

Jan 15th, 2003, 09:02 AM
KT

2 1/2 weeks on the Cape & Capetown in late Sept. 03 - Help!

We are planning our trip to South Africa for
late Sept./early Oct. '03. We will be spending 3 days at Mala Mala, and then taking Rovos Rail to Cape Town. Our thoughts right now are to rent a car and drive to Hermanus the next morning to see the whales and stay overnight (Auberge Burgundy), then drive the next day to Knysna (Overmeer), where we'll stay for 3 days. We then will be going to the Winelands and staying in Franschhoek for 5 nights (Le Quartier Francais). We thought we'd like to go from there to West Coast National Park overnight to see the flowers,and then to Cape Town for 4 whole days before we leave. A question to the Cape experts, and I've read a lot of your advice (thank you), is this plan doable and what are your thoughts on it? Can we do the drives from Hermanus to Knysna, and Knysna to Franschhoek in a day comfortably? Any suggestions for other things to do in the Winelands area, ie., hiking, touring. Also, any suggestions on places to stay near West Coast National Park and is that a good idea to go there to see the spring flower display (about 30 Sept.)? Any other suggestions?

Jan 15th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello KT,

Wow! You should become a Cape Town tour operator with your planning skills. Your tour plan is wonderful and 98% correct in my opinion.

Skipping Cape Town (so a to se it at the end of your journey) in the beginning to go to Hermanus is a great idea and you should see whales in September.

Hermanus – 1 day overnight – Excellent

One day to travel to Knysna – Absolutely perfect

Three day stay in Knysna – 100% At this rate the way Fodorites are travelling to Overmeer, Ludwig and Riette wont be able to cope ). Good luck to them as they have a fabulous establishment and they deserve all that comes their way.

Back to Franschoek for 5 days – Oops your only mistake imho. You should only spend 3 days in Franschhoek at MOST.

Use one of the days that you would have spent in Franschhoek to rather travel to Oudtshoorn after Knysna. Stay at Shades of Africa http://www.shades.co.za On the day that you leave Knysna make your way to Oudtshoorn, arrive at Shades, drop off your cases and make your way to the Swartberg Mountain range. Do this exhilarating journey and have a late lunch at Prince Albert. Then make your way back to Oudtshoorn via Meiringspoort. Believe me you will never forget your trip over the Swartberge and through Meiringspoort. That night have dinner at the wonderful Jemimas restaurant. http://www.showcook.co.za/jemimas.htm It will be worth this journey just to enjoy this restaurant which is one of the hidden gems of South Africa

The following day you should travel to Franschhoek. Oudtshoorn to Franschhoek in a day of travelling is fine. Furthermore you will be travelling on the R62 which is a splendid scenic drive

Amongst others don’t miss out on the following in Franschhoek

A visit to Haute Chabriere Wine farm. If you are in Franschhoek on a Saturday leave this visit for the 11AM visit on this day when the most wonderful character who is passionate about his wine viz the winemaker on the farm, Achim von Arnim, will take you around himself. Amazing tour where a sword will start having you think that it has many more uses than you ever knew about. )

Fabulous dinner at Klein Olifantshoek http://www.kleinoliphantshoek.com/default.htm

A visit to the Franschoek Chocolate factory

Visit the “Old Corkscrew” antique shop and enjoy one of the BIGGEST hidden secrets on the Cape Winelands. (Find out about this secret yourself. )

After Franschhoek return to Cape Town and enjoy 5 (not 4)days in our great city. I say five because you will need this to enjoy the city thoroughly.

You ask about the Wild Coast and flowers. This could be a hit and miss affair however I would recommend that you take your chances in late September. If I had to suggest a place to stay I would recommend Saint du Barrys in Clanwilliam http://www.saintdubarrys.co.za/

OK I think that covers the small little holes that you left out of your very well self planned tour.

Hope this all helps and do enjoy your stay when you visit us

Selwyn Davidowitz

Jan 15th, 2003, 01:35 PM
KT

Selwyn, Thank you so much for your response. We'll take your advice on Franschhoek. Hopefully, you can tell we are very excited about this trip and seeing part of your beautiful country!

Jan 16th, 2003, 03:05 AM
sue

Selwyn, KT asked about hiking too - what a about something in the Boland and also the Cango caves in Outshoorn?

Search this Thread