1st visit

May 6th, 2000, 04:08 AM
Tom

1st visit

Hi,

My wife and I will be visiting Egypt late May and have opted for Gate 1's Deluxe package that includes the Mena House(Palace Wing)in Cairo, The Old Cataract in Aswan and a 5-day cruise on the Oberoi Philae. I have picked up some very general web-site data on these three but would appreciate any experiences, good and bad. I am also trying to find out about bus/subway travel fom Mena house to the Egyptian Museum, hairdryers at the above, how decent the food is on these inclusive tours/cruise and the best, most reasonable, and least hassled way to camel from the Mena to around the Pyramids. One night on the cruise also features a black and white dinner. Does anyone know what this is? Other suggestions/recommendations
would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

May 7th, 2000, 12:27 PM
Karen

My husband and I LOVED the Mena House, especially the original Palace wing. We took a taxi from the Mena House to the Egyptian Museum. Best I remember, it was around $10 American dollars, for two people, each way. SET THE PRICE WITH THE DRIVER BEFORE YOU LEAVE!! The doorman may help you negotiate.

Our tour group used the Oberoi cruise line and it was wonderful. I don't know about the black/white dinner. We had a 'dress like an Egyptian' dinner and it was great fun. Brought costumes on the ship for less than $10 American dollars.

The food was very good on the tour and cruise. Lots of fruits, veggies and breads, with chicken and lamb. There was lots of variety and the presentation was pretty. We ate all foods provided with the tour and never got sick.
I didn't find hair dryers in any hotels or on the cruise. My adapter and converter worked fine.
Have a great, great, great trip!!

Search this Thread