1st time safari, need a little advice.

Nov 16th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

1st time safari, need a little advice.

I am planning a trip to Tanzania for 1-2 months from June to August. I would like to see as much wildlife as possible as cheaply as possible. Basic mobile safari I assume. I would like to land in Dar es Salaam with a backpack and take it from there. If anyone could help regarding the following questions that would be great!
1. Is it cheaper to book safaris locally?
2. Cost/practicallity of getting from park to park by plane, bus, train?
3. If I show up at a National Park will it be possible to jump on with a safari, or should I book in Dar es Salaam before departing?

Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed!
Regards, Jeff
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Hi Jeff-
Hopefully someone here can help but I haven't seen too many backpackers post here.
As a backup, I would recommend that you also post over at the Thorn Tree on the Lonely Planet.
You can use this link to find it:
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...=9&STARTPAGE=1
I think they have quite a few adventurous folks like you there. Good luck, sorry I couldn't help. Liz
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Jeff
Hi, I got your rather brief email.
You can probably get some advice here on what to see and might get some more specific responses too - there are some lower budget travellers here. But generally we're a self-indulgent lot so you might also want to search through existing advice and then post on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree board. It's another excellent resource and I find that if I can't find information at one place I can usually find it at the other!
Best of luck.
Kavey

Search this Thread