Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   1st time in africa, Namibia or Botswana?? December 2012 (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/1st-time-in-africa-namibia-or-botswana-december-2012-a-935512/)

lualamo May 17th, 2012 07:12 AM

1st time in africa, Namibia or Botswana?? December 2012

I'm not sure which destination is better for that time of the year. Botswana or Namibia?

I'll be there Mid- December & 1st week of January.

Thanks!
Luciana

mcbg1 May 17th, 2012 10:37 AM

Get your act together. You have three different threads mentioning different countries...

lualamo May 17th, 2012 11:51 AM

that's not true, but thanks for your kind reply

sdb2 May 17th, 2012 02:47 PM

If I were going to Africa for the first time, especially with game viewing in mind, I'd opt for Botswana over Namibia. Namibia, with its waterhole-type game viewing (i.e., in Etosha) is way different than the type of game viewing most people are accustomed to from watching TV shows and movies (i.e., bush- and plains-type game viewing). On the other hand, if you've got a thing for sand, the dunes at Namibia's Sossusvlei are world class and the dunes along the coast can be dramatic (and fun if you go for a tour and go up and down them). Both countries will be very warm with the rainy season beginning.

Zambezi May 17th, 2012 04:06 PM

Botswana! More options, more variety. ZZ

traveller1959 May 18th, 2012 06:44 AM

For a first-timer, I would recommend a self-driving tour through Namibia. Namibia is very diverse - with game viewing at many places (not just Etosha), with spectacular scenery (Sossusvlei, Skeleton Coast, Erongo Mountains, Namib Desert), with picturesque towns (Swakopmund), with welcoming people and with an excellent touristic infrastructure. It is safe and easy to travel Namibia.

I would leave Botswana for the second trip to Africa.

lualamo May 18th, 2012 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

I think I'll go with Namibia, specially because I'm doing Kruger for 4 nights first, then going to another country.

I'll prepare an itinerary and then I'll ask you more questions for sure!!!

Thanks again!
Luciana

atravelynn May 18th, 2012 11:08 AM

Get your act together?! Who cares if somebody posts several questions?

In addition to getting your act together, eat your vegetables, floss daily, maintain good posture, and please get to bed at a decent hour.

When you've managed all of these, only then may you consider posting another question. ;)

traveller1959 May 23rd, 2012 11:30 AM

Luciana,

if you have more questions feel free to open a new thread. We will be happy to give you advice.

In Kruger, you will see abundant wildlife. So, in Namibia you can focus on scenery (you will see more wildlife anyway). Another reason for Namibia instead of Botswana (which is better in wildlife than Namibia, but Namibia is better in scenery).

Neuman605 May 23rd, 2012 12:31 PM

Ok so having been to both Kenya and SA's Kruger next.... Namibia or Zambia?

lualamo May 24th, 2012 04:28 AM

Thank you all for your replies!
Since we have 21 days in Africa, we decided to go both, Namibia & Botswana :)

I will share my itinerary later. Thanks!

shedridt May 29th, 2012 03:10 PM

My husband & I did that trip 4 years ago & it was the best trip of our lives [so far!]. We stayed at Sossusvlei for 2 full days, then flew to Damaraland to see the desert elephants, then to Jack's Camp & finally to a wonderful camp in the Okovango Delta. We were away just under 3 weeks & it was just wonderful!!!!

Can't wait to hear about your itinerary - you've made a great choice & I envy you the experience.