Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

1st time Egypt tour in December...need help!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I have been looking around at different tour companies and have found that most are waaaaay out of my price range. I did however find Delta Tours which had unthinkable cheap prices. I know, I know....you get what you pay for...but i honestly don't mind staying in a cruddy hotel for three nights....i can pass out standing up if i have to. The rest of the trip is 2 nights on a sleeper train and 3 nights on a river cruise. I know I won't get to see "the best" of this amazing country but I would rather see something rather than nothing...I do however need general advice on traveling in Egypt seeing that the only other country I have visited outside of the USA is Italy. I want to make sure I dress properly and mainly where to shop, what to eat...and maybe some things that are must see items in Cairo Luxor and Aswan in my free time. Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance from a very beginner traveler!

Also......if you have used Deltatoursegypt.com before please let me know what you thought of them....Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM

First, you don't need to worry about where to shop. If Delta Tours is that much less than anyone else, they won't be having a lot of free time that allows you to choose a place to shop. What I mean is, you will get lots of shopping time in, but it will be at stores they take you to. The way they make up for cheap rates is by taking a commission on your purchases. Both the company and the guide take a large portion of what you spend in any shop they take you to. Just be ready for that, and either bargain your brains out, or don't shop much. It's a common practice all over the world. I find here the papyrus, gold, carpets and perfume can be 5 times the price in one of those shops though than what they are at the Khan el Khalili if you know where to go.

As for what to wear - in December it will be cooler than normal, and you should be able to comfortably wear modest clothes without feeling like you are being sufficated. Jeans are even comfortable around Cairo in December. Just keep in mind the list of things NOT to expose while you are here and you'll be fine

NO SHOULDERS
NO BREASTS
NO TUMMIES
NO BUTTS (CRACKS OR CHEEKS)
NO THIGHS
NO UNDERWEAR (BRA STRAPS OR THONG STRAPS)

If you can avoid showing those areas off, you will be fine.
Again remember it will be cooler in December so a jacket for the evening is a real must. If you will be sitting outside watching the Sound and Light show, you'll get cold without one.

What to eat? You'll get lots of different advice on this. My advice is to be open to trying new things and eat what the Egyptians eat. Don't get too anxious about fruits and vegetables, eat them, you will love them. Don't eat them and you'll be missing some of the best fruits and veggies on earth. Once you arrive and can find a Pharmacy, get yourself a $1 box of ANTiNAL in the event your tummy decides to revolt, and you'll be fine. I'm personally convinced that those that come KNOWING they will get sick if they eat anything Egyptian or unusual will get sick no matter how careful they are. Those that come with an open mind to try new things and eat what is suggested to them (of course from clean kitchens) will enjoy their trip so much more and never get sick - or at least only with minor troubles.
Note the comment about "clean kitchens" - clean kitchens can be found in the smallest of villages in Egypt, while the best hotels or McDonalds may not be as clean as they should be on any given day. That rule applies to America as much as it applies to Egypt.

Have a specatacular trip and enjoy it all!!!!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 10:17 PM

<<Don't eat them and you'll be missing some of the best fruits and veggies on earth.>>

Debbie - my older son was SOOO disappointed in the fruits in the US after enjoying the ones in Egypt!! And they LOVED the fresh watermelon juice they used to get at Bua Khao in Maadi!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM

We only just returned from a fabulous experience, but on a tour of Egypt. There are times in life where in order to see the world we must do it on a shoe string and this website will help you find the best of the best for less.

So often today, the tours are filled with seniors because, naturally they have the time and often the funds.

Egypt is a police state and everywhere you feel safe and guarded. Tourism is number one in Eqypt and their aim is to keep all guests safe. During our three week tour, we always had armed guards on board and following our bus or quite present on trains, etc.

We are not adventurous in third world countries and to be sure we stay well, we always skip the gorgeous fresh fruits and vegs. The breads ad pastries are really very nice and abundant. We stay with only cooked produce and lots of bottled water.

In a group of 15, half got hit with the mummy curse for a day or two which takes you to your bed. There are bateria that some systems just can't tolerate. Because we are so careful, we stayed healthy the whole three weeks but was not adventurous in tasting some items that looked so good. You are right; what your friend said about the watermelon and all fruit - it's so beautiful and others that did eat it said it was the best in the world. Must be the Nile..

You sound young and that is so wonderful you are doing this once of a lifetime experience now.

Travel safe. Not sure if I can be of any assistance but feel free to write me direct as I don't often check these blogs.

Happy Trails!

EMAIL:
[email protected]

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

haha...yes...you are correct...very young traveler indeed. I am only 26. I am really excited about this trip...I am actually thinking about just getting an apartment in Giza and doing day trips from there. After reading some of the reviews of delta tours I am quite apprehensive about using them and so is my boyfriend who will be going with me. It has shocked me though at the response I am getting from everyone when I tell them I am taking my vacation in Egypt....everyone thinks I am nuts. So now I am even more determined to go just to prove them wrong about what they see in the media. Quite frankly I am more afraid of going to L.A. or New York than I am going to Egypt.

As far as clothing goes I have researched enough to know what to wear and what not to wear...but what my main question is I guess is should I wear something covering my hair. I know tourists don't do this normally but I want to be as respectful as I can.

Oh...and another thing...about the food...do they use a lot of onions in dishes? I am allergic to them and wonder how hard it would be to find food without them in it.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 04:23 AM

You don't need to cover your head in Egypt - it's not Saudi Arabia! IMHO, people who don't travel always think those who want to visit the Middle East are crazy, but don't be discouraged, you'll have a great time, whether in Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan etc, etc! You may actually find it cheaper to make Nile cruise and other tour arrangements with travel agents on the spot. I dealt with two when I lived in Cairo, both most satisfactory: Garden City Travel (in Garden City, adjacent to downtown), and SeEgypt (in Maadi). I was also recommended one called Travco.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM

I am going to Egypt in the fall and booked my trip thru gate1travel. 15days with a 7day cruise of the Nile and 3 days at the Red Sea....The price was awesome and it has time for extra excursions....not sure where you are leaving from but this was out for New York City with the internal flights included.
gate1travel.com
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Don't worry about covering your hair. Tourists that try to cover up usually look a little silly as they don't know how to tie their scarves on right, and it just looks like someone that is trying a little too hard to be P.C. There are Christians here, foreigners here, and even some Muslims here that do not veil at all, so you will look just like us. It's not a bad idea to have a scarf with you, in the event you are wandering around and decide to take up an invitation into a mosque that is along the way that might require you to be covered inside. There are not too many of these that tourists ever find, but one or two and since a scarf is a pretty easy thing to wear as a fashion accessory around your neck, it's a good thing to have.

Regarding onions - since no one has answered that for you yet - YES, onions are in MANY foods here. If I were you, I would find someone that knows how to write and read Arabic before you come, or as soon as you get here to write you a note that you can carry with you all the time that says you are alergic to onions and you CAN NOT be given any. This would be important enough to carry in a notebook with you all the time to show waiters and chefs wherever you go to eat. Onions are used in salads and in cooked dishes.
Are you OK with garlic? Garlic is even more common than onions and since they are from the same family you should be sure you can eat it before coming as you will find they use garlic in nearly everything.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Hi,

Did you go to Egypt? Did you use Delta Tour Egypt? We are considering Delta. What did you think?

Thanks
John
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

No unfortunately I did not end up going. My grandmother became very ill and I ended up taking care of her before she passed. I do hope to one day take that dream trip though
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 04:55 AM

Sorry you didn't make that trip to Egypt.
Someday when you see the Sphinx, you will hear him say to you, as he has said to everyone else who has stood there "Well you finally made it."

John