Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   1st Safari, where should we go, what agency, when? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/1st-safari-where-should-we-go-what-agency-when-88567/)

Anthony Curtis Oct 2nd, 2000 10:55 AM

1st Safari, where should we go, what agency, when?

We are interested in a Safari and plan to go in the spring, but are quite flexible and will travel when the weather is best. <BR> <BR>We like luxurious accommodations (not 5 star US styled hotels, but quality beds, clean, plumbing, good food, etc.), but probably prefer smaller more sites that are in touch with the surroundings versus the large hotels (except possibly at the beginning and end of the trip). <BR> <BR>My wife is an insulin dependent diabetic which means her insulin must be refridgerated either in a small fridge (preferred) in the room or in a secure place in the hotel/camp, so we really do not want to rough it. <BR> <BR>Otherwise, we are in pretty good shape and enjoy excercise, etc. <BR> <BR>What are your recommendations? Where should we go? What company should we use? When should we go? <BR> <BR>We have never been to Africa, but love wildlife. Some examples of vacations we have taken (so you might get an idea of our personalities) are: Alaska (Glacier Bay where we kayaked with whales, Kenai Peninsula, and Delali Natl. Park); Chile (where we climbed/hiked up a live volcano in the lakes region and hiked in Patagonia); Easter Island; Bora Bora and Tahiti; and Costa Rica.

Don Bussian Oct 4th, 2000 06:07 AM

We would recommend Grand Circle without <BR>any doubt.Wonderful tour& guides.Call <BR>1-800-221-2610

Hans Oct 5th, 2000 02:27 PM

My wife and I went on Abercrombie & Kent's Wings over Kenya safari this summer and had an amazing time. The guides and drivers were wonderful, the camps we stayed in were fantastic--definitely luxurious in terms of mahaogany beds, running water, toilets etc., electricity and stunning views. The food was great (all places had refrigerators or cooling systems) and, most of all, the animals were incredible! I would highly recommend A&K for any tour. Hans

caroline s Feb 1st, 2001 09:38 AM

Go to Kenya! Check first with Jayne Ngatia at Bunson Travel in Nairobi. I've just returned from a 5-week+ holiday with similar goals and issues that you need to consider for yourself. <BR>Besides seeing a huge variety of landscapes and wildlife, we had use of a private van and incredibly knowledgeable driver (if you want to stay longer taking pictures you don't have a tour group pressuring you to move on), with wonderful lodgings that were civilized and comfortable but not touristic. It's worth checking with Jayne; I'll never use anyone else and was so delighted with the work she did that I plan to go back at the end of this year with her guidance and services. Feel free to inquire about specific places we visited (everywhere from the northern deserts to a marine santuary on the coast to Lake Victoria in the west to the famous Maasai Mara). Most of all have fun planning and Safiri salama!

Louise Feb 1st, 2001 10:37 AM

I know everyone has their own opinions on what they like best and here is mine. Having been to Kenya and Tanzania and later to Botswana I would choose Botswana. What we liked about it was that we saw no other tourists whereas in Kenya and Tanzania there were many others. The peace and beauty is unbelievable and floating in a mokoro on the delta is the experience I will never forget over all. We arranged out trip through www.fisheaglesafaris.com in Houston and couldn't have been happier with their service. All that said, I am sure wherever you go it will be a trip you will never forget.

Daniel Feb 19th, 2001 06:42 PM

My wife and I visited Botswana two years ago. We used Wilderness Safari, a SA company that has a virtual monopoly of the Okavango Delta. They run a dozen camps. You can either book your trip directly with them or through one of the many agents that they have worldwide. Wilderness Safari is excellent. Everything went as scheduled and it is extremely comfortable. Their camps are small with top service. If you want more details (which camps to go to) I will be happy to help you. You can e-mail me if you want.

Peter Feb 22nd, 2001 10:35 AM

I highly recommend Micato Safaris in Kenya and Tanzania. I went with them in July on a flying safari in Kenya and plan to use them again in May. Very well organized, excellent guides, and luxurious accomodations! The rainy seasons are Spring and Fall, but I'm told that game viewing is not really affected. Get brochures and travel books for specific information. I'm sure Micato will be able to deal with the insulin situation, but I suggest you discuss it with what ever company you use.

anthony curtis Feb 25th, 2001 01:19 PM

Anthony, Went to Africa two years ago June (their winter). Went with Sue's Safaris (out of Calif) who book with wilderness Tours. We designed our own trip; other friends designed an different trip. Went to botswana, Zimbabwe(Victoria Falls 2 days), and South Africa. Trip was not cheap but everything was excellent and went as planned.It was marvellous. e-mail if you need more info [email protected] Helen <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>e-mail me: [email protected]