Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   1st Safari in South Africa & Botswana- Itinerary and Lodging Advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/1st-safari-in-south-africa-and-botswana-itinerary-and-lodging-advice-936013/)

LivingAmused May 21st, 2012 01:22 PM

1st Safari in South Africa & Botswana- Itinerary and Lodging Advice

My husband and I are heading to SA in late June for 16 days. We would like to spend 8-10 days on Safari between Sabi Sand, SA and Botswana. Also, while in Botswana, have one night stay around Victoria Falls and spend around 4 days in Cape Town.

In Sabi Sand, we are choosing Mala Mala Rattray's because of its reputation for Game Drives and low passenger count/car. We also love to stay in Mashatu Tented Camps for a couple of nights. In Botswana, we are stuck trying to determine the best lodges to stay at for game viewing and experiencing different ecosystems. Although we plan to be there for around 6 nights, we were thinking 2 nights each in different camps would be too many transfers. We are considering Xigera, Tubu Tree, Mombo, Khwai River and Eagle Island Camp at the moment. Luxury is not a must, but comfort and safety are and of course game viewing and the environment. Amazingly, all lodges have availability. Is 1 night is Victoria Falls and 2 nights each in Mala Mala Rattray's and Mashatu enough? Please give us your suggestions.

uhoh_busted May 21st, 2012 02:53 PM

I think 3 nights in a camp gives you a better trip. You have a wealth of choices, I don't think you can do wrong.

uhoh_busted May 21st, 2012 02:55 PM

Oh..from what I hear, 1 night in Vic Falls will be fine. There is a great trip report you should read. ... Look for the " repost"

christabir May 21st, 2012 08:44 PM

See my response on VF post. Three nights minimum per camp. Late June this year? You may not have a lot of choices. Have you contacted a safari agent yet?

mgee May 21st, 2012 09:51 PM

i will be taking my family to Okovango for 10 days on the 20th June. We have booked third bridge and Kwai amonst a few others but i am planning on doing as much driving as is needed, including going into Chobe.

KathBC May 21st, 2012 09:54 PM

Wondering how you'll be getting between MalaMala and Mashatu.

2 nights in each camp seems too rushed as that will only give you one full day in each.

mgee May 21st, 2012 09:57 PM

does anyone know if there is anything interesting outside the camps or is it best to stay in Moremi and Chobe?

Treepol May 21st, 2012 11:36 PM

Hi,

I think 2 nights in camps is a very short time, particularly as Mala Mala and Mashatu are a long days drive or connecting flights from each other.

Have you checked the Mashatu blog recently, http://blog.mashatu.com/index.php/2012/05/ and this post http://safaritalk.net/topic/8565-dro...atutuli-block/ point to abnormally dry conditions in the Tuli block. A late June trip might be OK so long as its before the grim time for the animals sets in, however do ask your agent about the effect of the dry on the animals and wildlife viewing.

Perhaps you could spend more time in Sabi Sands rather than spend the best part of a day in transit between the camps? I've only stayed at Umkumbe which I thoroughly enjoyed for its low key and laid back service and great game viewing.

Regards,

Pol

PeteMorrie May 22nd, 2012 12:02 AM

Consider Elephant Valley Lodge near Kusane

LivingAmused May 22nd, 2012 04:20 AM

I talked to an agent in SA and they verified dryness in Mashatu but that the Game Viewing is fine. Hopefully, that is truthful.
I agree 2 nights stays are not a good idea. We were offered packages from the start with 2 nights stay and thought this is the norm there and would be OK. Now we are rethinking that.

Amazingly enough, there are availablilities everywhere we look this late.

What is running up the cost is staying in Mombo. We can't decide if the high price tag is worth the money and reviews I have read are all over the place.

I am thinking to: stay 3 nights in Sabi Sand (anywhere else in Kruger I should consider?), if I drop Mashatu, I can do one night at the V Falls and 7 nights in Northern Botswan or 4 in Kruger and 6 in Botswana. Better itin.? which 2 areas of Botswana I should consider staying at in late June?

I really had my hear set on Mashatu.

sumplanner May 22nd, 2012 12:16 PM

Hi Livingamused, Your plan looks exciting!! are you doing it on your own or are you going with a tour operator? Which operator?
Pls come back and updtae us on the camps.

uhoh_busted May 22nd, 2012 12:32 PM

Just on the fly...I would pick Chobe and the Okavango Delta. Check & Beyond, however, to see what kind of last minute specials they have. You could likely do 3 nights each at two of their camps including flying between the two and transport back to Vic Falls (or maybe even Joburg)

fineluxury May 24th, 2012 02:59 PM

It sounds like you're planning an awful lot of traveling around. 6 nights will fly by - take your time and minimize your stops. Take time to enjoy your surroundings. I think you'll be happy if you slow your itinerary a bit.