16 day mixed trip

Nov 17th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

16 day mixed trip

we are doing a 15 day trip to africa in end Jan into mid feb. We will be 4 days in capetown...2 days in johanesburg...6days out on safari...then to Zimbabwe for 3 days. I am very confused on what i should be packing for this mixed trip. I have never been to anywhere like this...we usually do 1 week beach vacations.
thanks for the help
loralie
Nov 17th, 2014, 10:08 AM

Unless you plan to stay or have dinner in some exclusive and/or expensive restaurants, both CPT and JNB are very casual. While we didn't visit JNB, I wore the same attire (slacks/shirt) everywhere and never felt over/under-dressed.

Instead of only safari tan at those locales, had a pair or two of black or brown slacks with a great shirt/sweater for when in CPT that would work just as well in JNB.

There are a number of threads on this forum re 'packing' which thru a search can give you some ideas of what others have packed.

But do know that your time of travel is 'summer' in the Southern hemisphere, so you might want to consider (1-2/pr) walking length shorts/t-shirts for some of the safari stops. And remember that laundry is available most all camps, often included in your price or at very low cost. Evenings/mornings though can be somewhat cooler than daytime temps.

You really don't require many changes as safari is the last place to expect a fashion show as one might see on the pages of Vogue or Harpers Bazaar; most visitors work with about 4/changes of clothes.
Dec 1st, 2014, 02:03 PM

Layers. Make an outer layer a rain jacket and rain pants. You could encounter rain in Jan-Feb.

Wide brimmed hat. Shirts with collars for better sun protection. If you are doing walking safaris, then take boots with ankle support. Otherwise no boots are needed.

No bright, flowery clothes for your safari. I'd avoid blue which attracts tse tses.

Unmentionables: I like the quick dry underpants. Not all places do ladies undies. Sports bra because you'll likely be bouncing around in vehicles.

Whoever you booked with will likely provide a packing list.

Have a great time.

Search this Thread