Dubai and where else for one week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering a trip to the Middle East in February for six or seven nights. We are intrigued by Dubai and are discussing spending half of our time there and the other few days at another location, either on the way to the UAE or on the return.

We will be traveling from the US East Coast. Any good ideas on where a first or second stop could be? Are Bahrain or Oman open to western travelers? Would those be good stops for a few days of vacation? Any other areas that may be a good addition to Dubai?

Any strong feelings for or against Dubai? I've heard really mixed reviews on other travel boards, but the city and beaches are really appealing. Input welcome!
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 02:02 PM

Dubai is okay as a stopover for a couple of days on your way to another destination, although I am not sure I would go to Dubai for the sake of going there. IMO, Dubai feels very artificial except for maybe the area around Old Dubai / Dubai Creek with its souqs, etc.

Oman would be my recommendation for the Gulf region, as it is less commercialized, more authentic, and offers more variety. If you are an outdoor-type, then Oman has beautiful canyons, valleys, coastline, etc. Depending on your interests, you may be able to spend 2 nights in Dubai and the rest in Oman.

In the region, I really liked Jordan, for all its history and culture. Jerash in the north has some of the best preserved Roman ruins. And Petra, I don't think I need to describe much.
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 02:08 PM

There is a report here from a poster of Dubai/UAE. Maybe you can search for it.

I've been to Dubai. IMHO, it's a good stopover for a couple of days but not a destination. I'm a beach person, spent many years in south Florida, and have visited beaches around the world. It didn't impress me as a beach destination. My disappoint was in the lack of history (try Jordan, Israel, Turkey, etc.). I suspect that it's a great shopping town, the gold souks etc. but I'm not a dedicated shopper. Yes, Bahrain and Oman are open to westerners(or they were I guess they still are.) If the desert fascinates you, maybe Oman would be the place for the 2nd stop.

It reminded me of Vegas--lots of greenery but all dependent upon irrigation. As cities go, I didn't get the 'charm' if in fact it is there.

Come back and let us know what you thought since it sounds like you are definitely going there.

It reminded me of Vegas--lots of greenery but all dependent upon irrigation. As cities go, I didn't get the 'charm' if in fact it is there.
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 02:15 PM

Search for Dubai and/or United Arab Emirates and you will find maybe 10 posts. Look for poster thit-cho who once did a great trip report for the UAE done in a week if you can locate it.
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your helpful replies. We are doing more background research on the UAE and also exploring other options such as Morocco. I have a feeling these boards will be very helpful!
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 09:14 AM

We're in Oman right now, after having spent 3 days in Dubai. Dubai is indeed very artificial, and the city is alive 24/7. I haven't been to Las Vegas, but from what I read about it, both are comparable.

Right now we are in Musandam Governorate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musandam_Governorate
This location is famous for its fjords. We did a boat tour in the fjords today and it was indeed breathtaking. We also spotted lots of dolphins. But then, that's all there is to see here.

Tomorrow we'll fly to Muscat for the next leg of our trip. We rented a 4WD and have a roadbook. We will drive all over central Oman. After that we'll fly to Salalah (Dhofar province) in the very south for some beach time.
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, all. We have decided on Istanbul for four nights and Dubai for three nights. Once in the UAE, we may try to do a day trip to Abu Dhabi for one of the three days. The other two days we'd like to do a mix of beach/pool/architecture and sight seeing, and also a camel trek.

For anyone who has gone, particularly in the winter months, have you had luck hiring a full or half day camel trek company? We've located a few that are packages (sand dune offroading, BBQ, belly dancing, chance to take a short ride on a camel) -- but we would want to do a longer tour by camel to see the desert. Input welcome!
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 01:21 PM

Istanbul is a wonderful city, especially if you like history and culture. A day trip to Abu Dhabi is easy; make sure to check out the Sheikh Zayed Mosque for its stunning architecture.