Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   13nights ?possible to see Cape Town, Kruger Park, and Mauritius (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/13nights-possible-to-see-cape-town-kruger-park-and-mauritius-959801/)

kimjoan Dec 19th, 2012 12:50 PM

13nights ?possible to see Cape Town, Kruger Park, and Mauritius

Hello. I am planning a trip with my husband for the end of March to South Africa for 13 nights. Trying to decide if we are planning too many spots to hit in a short time. We definitely want to see Cape Town, Stellenbosch and Kruger Park. Hoping to visit Mauritius while we are there as well. It seems like it will take a decent amount of travel time to get there and back. Don't want to rush parts of the trip. Any suggestions on a travel plan and if Mauritius is a not-to-be missed spot?
Thanks!!!

sandi Dec 19th, 2012 01:12 PM

Capetown including Stellenbosch (1/hrs drive) can be done with 5/days; Kruger with 4/days. Then you have to determine flights/costs to/from Mauritius to decide whether it's worth visiting for the remaining days.

burnmeister Dec 21st, 2012 01:20 AM

Hi Kimjoan. As with most travel iteneries it depends what you like.
I live close to Kruger so I'll give you some advice on that (i'm no expert on Cape Town or Mauritius): Obviously the longer you stay the better the chance of seeing all the animals. However, a full day of driving around in kruger can already give you a nice overview of southern kruger. For me it becomes quite boring after about 2 days, and I really don't like sitting in a car the whole day. If you stay longer than this then perhaps arrange a guided walk in the park, or try and see some of the more northern camps (Letaba, Mopani, Singwedzi and Punda Maria)where trafic is less and you have more of the park to yourself.

One last thought: Many tourists to South Africa see only Cape Town, fly to Kruger and then leave. South Africa has much more to offer!

Good luck with your arrangements, hope you enjoy!
B

braaiseason Dec 23rd, 2012 05:03 PM

You do loose a whole day's travelling getting to Mauritius from SA, I don't think you have enough time.

kimjoan Dec 23rd, 2012 07:25 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking 4 nights in Cape Town, 1 night in Stellenbosch and 4 nights in Kruger. Would like to spend some time on a warm beach for a few nights. Would Mozambique be a better choice? Any suggestions on which part of Mozambique?
Thanks!

pixelpower Dec 24th, 2012 04:47 AM

It's a bit crazy to try to fit in Mauritius. Moz would indeed be a better choice.

But Fedair just announced they're gonna stopped flying from Kruger to Vilanculos. So now it won't be that easy getting there. You'll need to charter a small plane, or fly back from Kruger to Jo'burg ant then on to Maputo or something. Then from Maputo either N or S, pick a place at the beach. But in case you pick S, I'd opt for a beach stay in SA's wetlands instead (ic Santa Lucia area). There's also lots more flights to Durban than to Maputo.

ClaireSaunders Jan 7th, 2013 04:20 AM

I would also leave out Mauritius and just focus on SA. Do a Safari and then Cape Town - less is more! There are some amazing spots in South Africa

I am in expert on Cape Town so I would suggest the following:
Day 1: Stay at More Quarters Cape Town & Dine at Roundhouse.
Day 2: Stay at Steenberg Hotel & Dine at Catarina's. Option to play golf at Steenberg Golf Club.
Day 3: Stellenbosch Webersberg Wine Lovers Experience
Day 4: Continue to explore the Cape Winelands.
Day 5: Franschhoek Stay at Basse Provence & Dine at Mange Tout at Mont Rochelle.
Day 6: Elgin Drive over the Olifantshoek pass towards Elgin and do as the settlers did years ago.
Day 7: Start your African Safari Adventure fly to Joburg then Hoespruit
Day 8-13 - Stay at Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge all inclusive Safari adventure with all the Big 5

Lolazahra Jan 8th, 2013 03:53 PM

Hi.

We have now been to SA a dozen times, but on our first trip we spent 4 days in Joberg, 4 days in Capetown, 3 nights in the Sabi Sand area adjacent to Kruger, and 3 days in Madikwe. In the 3 days in Sabi Sand at Londolozi, we saw the big 5 and more. In hindsight, we did not have to go to Madikwe. We did a day trip to Stellenbosh. If you stay at a lodge with a great record of sightings, then I think you can feel comftable ending on the beach. And I must say, when we visited Kenya and Tanzana, it was wonderful ending the trip on the beach in Mombasa.

Good luck.

pixelpower Jan 9th, 2013 11:08 PM

On 24/12 I wrote;

>> But Fedair just announced they're gonna stopped flying from Kruger to Vilanculos.

And in the news today;

http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/NewsD...x?newsId=66624

It's going to be no fun to combine Kruger & Moz in the future. :-(