100 things to do before I die!

Aug 10th, 2003, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

100 things to do before I die!

Good day all

Its a Sunny Sunday and I have decided to make a

"100 things to do before I die list!"

Yes could be classed as morbed, but I wish to experence the most out of my short life on this planet - Got up to 52 and I am now looking for more ideas....

What sort of things would you have on your list?

Yes this is a travel question, so far I would like to visit Machu Pichu, ride on the Blue train, Fly over the Grand Canyon in a helicopter, Canada Rockies train, and give blood to name a few..

thanks in advanced this might even get you thinking
Aug 10th, 2003, 07:04 AM

I'm VERY pleased to see giving blood on the list. But please put it high on the list and do it first, before the anti-malarial and other drugs needed for some of that travel makes you ineligible.

I know personally ... was somewhere around 10 gallons lifetime when I started the adventuresome travel and haven't been able to donate in years...
Aug 10th, 2003, 07:22 AM

I'll play...

I would like to run a marathon on each of the seven continents (only at two, currently and would like to get to seven well before my 40th birthday in 8 years). The bonus is that, obviously, I would have also visited all seven continents.

I would like to climb Mt. Kiliminjaro.

I would like to buy a home in Cape Town and possibly live there for a minimum of 3+ months per year, while somehow keeping those American dollars flowing.

I would like to make friends around the globe and truly become a citizen of Earth, rather than just the USA.
Aug 10th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Noflyzone
I made sure i gave blood before, I'm off to South Africa this Sunday (6 days to go!!)

It was the first time I'd ever given blood - my mother had a major blood tranfussion and it made me realise how other people who we will never meet had helped her.

It has also made me realise how important it is to do and see as much as I can hence the 100 list.

Rocco
I would like to do the London or/and New York marathon, although this is not on my list yet!! It would have to be get fit first!!!
Aug 10th, 2003, 12:10 PM

How about Hot Air Ballooning across the Mara in Kenya. An experience you won't soon forget.
Aug 10th, 2003, 04:08 PM

Stand on the southern tip of Africa..and feel the rain in my face
Stand on the top of Aiguille du Midi and feel the icy wind.
Aug 11th, 2003, 06:06 AM

Hi

Climb Kilimanjaro (I am going to give it a try in the end of September)

Walk on the Great Wall of China...went to the Simatai section in March and it was amazing

Walk through the streets of Bangkok and look at all the taxis, tuk-tuk's, bikes and just be glad that you don't have to drive to work in traffic like that (well, I don't have to drive in traffic like that)

Have a drink at the bar at the top of the Burj Al Arab in Dubai...they have the best toilets that I have ever used But the drinks are expensive...but hey, it is a 7 star hotel

Climb El Castillo at Chichen Itza in Mexico

Go to Kjerag near Stavanger in Norway and stand on the Kjeragbolten (look at this picture: http://www.gardkarlsen.com/kjerag/jo...eragbolten.jpg)

There are so many places to visit...

Regards
Gard
www.gardkarlsen.com
Aug 11th, 2003, 06:27 AM

We sort of discussed some of the top things to do in this thread which centred on an abitrary list of top 50 experiences in Africa according to Travel Africa magazine.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...4&tid=34424897

I have so many wishes and here are a few off the top of my head:

Return to the Okavango Delta and view yet more fantastic scenery, game and bird life. (booked for 2004)

Return to NamibRand Nature Reserve and renew our wedding vows in this very special place. (booked for 2004)

Visit South Africa, particularly Cape Town. (currently working on for 2004)

Witness a migration in East Africa and visit some of the smaller quieter reserves that are less visited by larger safari tour groups. I'd really want to benefit from the collected expertise on the region that we have here on this board.

Visit the many many wonders of Egypt

Return to Morroco and stay in a luxurious riad, introduce my husband to the chaos of the medina - although he has seen Istanbul's Grand Bazaar so it won't be as unique an experience as it was for me first time around.

Visit Victoria Falls.

Return to wake up to the view of Mount Kilimanjaro that I remember from a childhood visit.

If I had the stamina and physical health, attend one of the intensive courses to become a game reserve guide - no intention of doing that but the education would be great!

Visit countries I haven't seen yet, Zambia and Madagascar are high on the list - whether before or after East Africa I dont know.

I'd love to balloon ride over various parts of Africa. This is expensive though and instead of spending that amount on a balloon trip at Sossusvlei we were able to have our transfer charter take us on a detour over Sossusvlei and out to the coast to see wrecks, old diamond mines, flamingoes and seals on the way to our next destination.

As for some of the experiences I've already had that I'd recommend for anyone else's list:

Okavango Delta - not just regular game drives but gliding along in a mokoro - a truly peaceful and lifting experience.

Exploring the red dunes of Namibia - both the famous Sossusvlei and surrounding area.

Fun filled city breaks to destinations such as Venice, Barcelona, Tallinn and Sorrento - some of my favourite trips in recent years.

A fly drive around some of the more desolate areas of Western USA - Utah, Colorado, Arizona. I particularly recall a quiet drive through a place I think was called Marble Canyon - it was a peaceful and wonderful day.

Sitting infront of a steaming plate of fresh Maine lobster with hot melted butter and cracking implements ready after full days on a whale watching boat off the coast of Rockport, near Boston, USA.

Wondering around Machu Picchu in the morning before the day visitors arrived and having a solitary hour of taking photos and enjoying the view and special atmosphere. I was a teenager then and this was one of the most amazing images of my childhood.

Will think of some more later... if anyone can stand to read more of my rambling!
Aug 11th, 2003, 06:37 AM

Oooh I'd like to walk the Great Wall of China too, and see the terracotta soldiers and many other things.

I'm in two minds about whether I want to cruise the three gorges (whilst one still can) or whether I'd go insane as I'm not a cruise kind of girl.

I'd also like to visit more of the Far East - so very very many places, tooo many to list.

I'd love to tour Australia and New Zealand.

I want to go to Iceland, I would also love to see the Aurora Borealis whilst there.

I'd like to return to Alaska and parts of northern USA with my husband, as well as back to many areas of New England.

I want to tour South America with my hub - I toured as a kid and saw some exciting places such as Lake Titicaca and Cuzco but just the tip of the ice berg I am sure.

I want to spend more time in France and Italy.

I want to go back to Madeira, which we both like very much.

Soooo many places.

And of course India - so many many facets to see -and where my parents and extended family are from/ still are.
Aug 11th, 2003, 07:34 AM

* Ride a gondola in Venice (check)
* Me too for visit all seven continents
* Ride an elephant in India
* Ride a camel in Egypt
* Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef
* Ski in Queenstown New Zealand
* Attend a winter and summer Olympics in another country
* Drive cross country north-south AND east-west (since I didn't accomplish this as a post-graduate, it will probably wait until retirement)
* Drive around Norway and practice my Norwegian
* Experience a White Night
* See the Northern Lights...
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

I would also like tobr /> stay in the ice hotel in sweden
See the Northern Lights as well
Take my advance Padi divers
Shark Dive see a great white shark
Ride on Elephant
Watch the launch of a space shuttle
Go through a toll and pay for you and the car behind (altough in the UK we only have one I can think of near the Dartford tunnel)!!

I have taken some of you ideas they can been very usefull keep them coming if you can think of more - theres no harm in dreaming..

thanks
Aug 12th, 2003, 03:03 AM

So many places and things to see and do!

I'd like to:
* stand with my left foot in one continent and my right foot in another (no idea where to do this)
* see the Northern lights and the Great Barrier Reef (not at the same time, obviously)
* see a solar eclipse in Africa.
* spend time as a conservation volunteer somewhere they really need the help
* learn an African and an Asian language (I'm a translator)
* write and publish a travel book

... and about a zillion other things!!
Aug 12th, 2003, 08:44 AM

hanl,
I have a friend in Turkey who's told me that there is a bridge there which separates Asia from Europe -- perfect place to be on two continents at once!

Someday I'd also like to take a cruise just to see what all the fuss is about, but I'll probably wait until I can't walk anymore!

Also forgot a trip along the Nile (maybe that would count as a cruise?)
Aug 12th, 2003, 09:59 AM

All of you seem to have covered the best of the international highlights. I can only add that it is my (probably unrealistic) goal to visit every island in the Caribbean in my lifetime. Not to miss: Jamaica, Belize (ok not really an island), Barbados, Antigua, Anguilla, Martinique. As far as a cruise, which I have never taken - it would be cool to take a cruise that follows the path of one of the great early seafaring explorers - Balboa, Captain Cook, Ponce de Leon, Christopher Columbus.
And as far as US highlights, I would also like to do these things and/or recommend:
-follow Lewis and Clark's trail
-see Mount Rainier
-see a concert in Colorado's Red Rocks Park
-Florida keys
-Mississippi River cruise
-swamp tour in south Louisiana
-Jazz and Heritage Festival in New Orleans
-see a baseball game in every professional stadium in America
-stand on the Continental Divide
-follow the entire length of the Pacific Coast Highway in a rented convertible (weather permitting)
-Great Sand Dune National Monument in Colorado
-Grand Canyon
-whale watch in Alaska
-visit Hawaii's lesser known islands

Search this Thread