10 days to Cyn's great adventure

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m at the 10-days-to-go mark, and I am so excited I can’t stand to be around myself. I think we have everything taken care of, but perhaps those a bit calmer than I can judge?

1.) We have assigned seats on all international flights but the one taking us from CPT to NBO.
2.) We have arranged car rentals in CPT and JFK for return home. (Does anyone know if the Hertz car rental is open 24 hrs in CPT?)
3.) We have all hotels booked in CPT and Franschoek.
4.) We have Sunscreen, REPEL for our clothes and Sawyers controlled release for our skin and 3 boxes of purell hand sanitizer wipes.
5.) We have Imodium, cipro and malarone. We are to start taking the malarone 1 day prior to arriving in Kenya, and continue for 1 week after returning home. (No malaria worries in SA?)
6.) We have passports with at least 2 consecutive (open-faced) blank pages valid for at least 6 months after our return, and we obtained our visas for both Kenya & Tanzania via the mail. (I actually forgot to send the check with the TZ app – the old “left it in my scanner/printer/copier” trick. They were kind enough to call me and tell me whom to mail the check to so they could process the app. Thankfully, I included our phone # in my cover letter. YIKES!)
7.) We have plenty of video cassettes and a day pack for hubby’s camera, and 1 extra battery with charger for the video camera. We have my FZ30, with 2-1gb and 1 512k mem cards, 3 batteries and a charger, and the epson 2000 with charger. We each have our own pair of binocs (although we argue as to whose are better! ) We have 2 little tiny flashlights to clip on our day packs.
8.) Kitty/house sitter has been arranged and confirmed, and responsible others will check in periodically.
9.) Still have to taken care of final bill-paying & financial arrangements, although did update the will and leave power of attorney for our accountant. Copies of passports and itinerary will be left with several different people.
10.) We are telling our employees that we will be completely unreachable for the month, and they’re on their own. (If I knew how to do the big-toothed grin, I would insert it here! They will be fine, anyway - we have great key-people)
11.) We have given a little bit of thought to clothing, although I’m trying very hard not to obsess about it. Will it be REALLY hot? Or just 80d f hot? And how cold is “cold at night”? 40d f will feel toasty to us new-englanders.
12.) Have a vague plan for our days on our own in CPT & Franscheok, and then are completely prepared to put ourselves in the hands of our very capable (we hope) Royal African guides when we arrive in Nairobi.
13.) We have little valentines to give to our safari-crew, with little heart candies , a valentine for hubby, and I have a birthday dinner arranged for the love of my life that will consist of Alaskan king crab (his very most favorite!!) and budweiser. (David brought the beer back with him when he left here in November, so it’s sure to not be very good, but it will make hubby smile). I can’t really think of a lightweight present to bring – that he won’t see when we’re packing, so dinner is going to have to be it- unless anyone has another suggestion? Perhaps I can pick up something in Africa –although sneaking the purchase will be a challenge. We tend to be together all the time when we travel. It’s nice to really like your spouse of 29+ years.
14.) Work-wise I do have tons to get done, as our books must be to accountant before I leave, but that should be accomplished by the end of the week. I’m hoping to not be working next week so I can take care of the last-minute details and packing at a leisurely, rather than frantic pace.

Have I missed anything? Or rather – what have I missed? I’m sure it’s something major, and I’m just blind to it.

Thanks to all for so much great info from this board!

Cyn
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 07:08 AM

10 days!!! Woo hoo!!! Have great time!

Sharon
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Hi Cyn,
I'm just 7 days behind you. DH and I are also self employeed so it's hell days before going and on return - but always so worth it.

What are you doing for $$$$? Also, do you have camera cleaning supplies and lg. baggies for camera,dirtys etc.?

I'm bringing one of those foldup alarm clocks with a temp. gauge and a clip on reading light and lots of extra batteries and fuses for my inverter.

Dispite my DH's taunting, I'm bringing a scrunchy sm. pillow for head and arse for bumpy roads (in a baggy of course) , (had surgery).

My plastic storage bin is starting to get filled more and more with useless items to be edited near the end - I'm still trying for carry ons only.

At any rate, stay excited and if you forget anything it's probably not dire.
Sherry

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 07:19 AM

cyn,
Ditto on coponcat's "woo!"

re: temps. Obviously I know nothing about South Africa, but aren't layers always the key? Hey, you know that; you're a New Englander. Do bring gloves and a scarf; I'm thinking about the Crater rim, where you may want to sit outside and have a drink, as well as early morning game drives. Could easily be hotter than 80d f in the afternoons at lower altitudes, so lightweight pants and t-shirts will keep you from melting.

But you're just worrying. Sounds like you have everything under control.

Have a fabulous time! I'm sure you will.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 07:40 AM
bat

Hi Cyn:
Thanks for posting this because I can ride your coattails to double check my packing.

Looks pretty organized to me. Some folks recommend Pepto Bismal tablets. I am taking some anti-itching cream.

What is Sawyers controlled release?
What binoculars did you each select?
My SO told me that the Epson battery charged inside the unit. Did you acquire a separate charger (or maybe he remembered incorrectly)?

BTW, a big fat grinning smiley is a colon : followed by a capital D
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Hi Cyn,

Type a : followed by a capital D and voila!

Hope you have a cynful time!

Jack
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Hi Cyn,

Jack and Bat described how to do the smiley that looks like your employees when you told them you’ll be unreachable for a month.

It sounds like you’re more than prepared.
Safari njema!

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 08:26 AM

It'll be warmer than 80F during the day in February in East Africa (no idea about South Africa). It could reach 90F or higher. It won't be 40F at night, more like 60F except at the crater rim where it might be a little cooler. Have a great trip!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 08:42 AM
bat

cyn:
I remember some advice a woman gave me--keep in mind that the car rides will be jarring and bumpy--she recommended purchasing a very good sports bra. Title 9 has an extensive collection with a clever rating system to describe the various strengths (number of barbells).
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Woo, indeed! Have a wonderful time, Cyn! (My sister's name is Cynthia, by the way, so I always read your posts with a totally unwarranted sense of familiarity.) It looks to me like you're on top of things.

Do you have something good to read on the plane that will get you in an Africa mood? There are a whole bunch of posts here with book suggestions, so I won't repeat them.

Bon voyage!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:21 PM
sandi

Time sure does fly when we're getting ready for our adventures to Africa. Seems like only yesterday that you were putting this together... and now, just a little over a week.

You're going to have a grand time. Enjoy and be prepared for us pleading for trip report and photos.

Happy travels.

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:01 AM

One thing I wish I had had was night vision goggles for night time safari drives.

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:11 AM

Interesting thought. Why don't you get some?
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:45 AM

I did not think about it until I was on a lion hunt. Will definitely bring them next time.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:28 AM

Dang, now another decision to make... invest in a camcorder?... now, invest in night vision?... Where does it all stop? =O
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:46 AM

We made the last minute decision to invest in a camcorder, and are really happy we did. I dont know what type of camera you are taking, but our camera had a 22x zoom, and was really great. We were able to spot leopards mating, and it was really great to capture that on film.

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Last June, I captured baboons mating...
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Have a GREAT trip Cyn and travel safe! Don't forget a journal and pens to write in the journal.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:59 AM

I second Dennis' suggestion of lots of pens and journal books, Cyn! Have a great trip - your list above will serve me well in June - thankyou!
Lynda
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

8 days

A few additions to the list:

Sunglasses, Hats, Maps, Lip Balm, Guide Books, Register trip with State Department. https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/home.asp.
Received vaccinations (second HepA, updated tetanus/diphtheria, yellow fever, typhoid,) and packed certificate with passport.

Cooncat:
Thanks for the “WooHoo” and good wishes – you’re not too far behind us!

Sherry:
You’re a short-timer too! (And Bat’s before both of us!!!) And don’t you know that if you’re self-employed all you do is count the money and go on vacations??? Seriously, I know just what you mean about the “hell”, but it is truly worth it. In the 20 years that we’ve had the business, this is the 3rd time we’ll be gone for an extended time, and it’s always been fine upon return.
Details, details : Money??? I laughed aloud when I read that – yeah, kind of important, isn’t it! Good thought on the thermometer. We have little ones that clip onto a zipper pull for snowmobiling. (Probably won’t need the wind-chill conversion chart on the back but the compass may be fun to have. It’s now in the stack of things to pack. As are the ziplock bags, and my camera cleaning “Stuff”.
I’ve been wanting to ask you, but DON’T ANSWER if you’re not comfortable: What was your surgery for, and most important: are you doing ok? It sounded like it may have been unexpected from something I read in one of your posts – and scary. I’ve felt like we’ve been paralleling our preparations (and camera for our trips, and so, I’ve been worried for you. This is meant to be very gently asked, and with no pressure.

Leely:
Oh, man – gloves??? I was really hoping to be away from that!! (I’ll have them in my pocket anyway, as I’ll need them coming & going.) Yes, I’m a worrier – it’s genetic – thanks,Mom.

Bat:
Yep, got to get the pepto. Sawyers Controlled release is a mossie-repellant that was recommended to us by a (seemingly) knowledgeable fellow at EMS. We were told by health clinic to get at least 33% deet, as the % is what indicates how long it will be effective. 33% = 3 hours. (???So we were told…) The EMS guy said this stuff (which is 20%) is better, as there is a chemical in it that “controls the release”. Hope it works – I draw the skeeters like a magnet! MY binos (and by far the superior of the 2 are Nikon 10x42. Hubby’s are some old “antique” pair that we’ve had for at least 100 years, bushnell 7x35 – and his weigh a ton! The Epson batteries do charge inside the unit –I was referring to the piece that plugs into both the unit and the wall with the charging unit in the center? Man, does that ever sound convoluted for something that is really quite simple. Oh, and the heavy-duty support bra…..really not needed.

Jack:
Good play on words! Can you imagine a mother naming her child “Cyn Stalker”???? (Of course, in those days, “Stalker” was just a last name, with connotations of hunting. Now….it can be kind of fun to be so named.

Nyamera:
Thanks for your good wishes! I hope that when I return, I will actually know what Safari njema means.

Patty:
Ok, so hot means HOT. Thanks for your thoughts!

Celia:
Feel free to be “familiar” – makes me feel cared for. Re: books – yes, I have to make that selection yet. I hate to bring a book that I want to keep, as I don’t like lugging them all around the world, so… I may just pick up some mindless reading for the planes at the airports.

Sandi;
You’re right – it WAS only yesterday that we were starting to prep. And in a blink of an eye, we’ll be back. And yes, I promise… as soon as I’m coherent, trip report and photos.

Ellene:
Night goggles – yes, good thought. We do actually have a set, somewhere…I wrote it down so I’ll find them before we go.

Matnikstym:
YES YES YES – and I didn’t have it on my packing list – my journal. This time around, it’s just a simple, leather bound journal that was a gift, so it won’t be pre-tailored to this trip. (And yes, I’m worrying about that. Thanks Mom!) And I’ll grab some nice-writing pens from work today!

LyndaS:
Thanks for your good wishes – you’ll be leaving before you know it!

Thank you everybody for helping me plan out this trip and for helping me with my packing list, and for your very generous and kind words. Some things I had not thought of (or forgot!), so I am truly grateful for the review of my list. ( Hah – I wrote list in the singular – I actually have 4 different lists going right now – aren’t you glad you don’t work for me????)

Peter and I are sure to have a great time, and I promise to report back – the good, the bad and the ugly. (But mostly the good – or the GREAT!)

Cyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -