10 Days In Israel/Where to Stay?

Jun 23rd, 2000, 06:42 AM
Janice

10 Days In Israel/Where to Stay?

Planning a 10 day trip (excluding travel time) to Israel. Need recommendations on where to make home base which will allow the least amount of time travelling to nearby sites. I've been told Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Anywhere else?

Jun 23rd, 2000, 12:22 PM
John

Hi, Janice,
Well, it's a pretty small country and you're not terribly far from anywhere. That said, Tel Aviv and Jerusalem are obvious because they're the largest cities and concentrations of hotels and visitor attractions, especially Jerusalem. But I'd also recommend you give a couple of days to the north, Galilee and Golan, and also to the Dead Sea. Day trips to the Dead Sea are possible from Jerusalem (driving or bus), but the Galilee would best be seen from a base in the north, probably Tiberias. If you want diving and beach, then Eilat in the south would also be a base, but a long way from anywhere else. With 10 days I'd suggest 3 in Tel Aviv, 2 in the north, and 5 in Jerusalem, with one day an outing to Masada and the Dead Sea, or 4 in Jerusalem with 2 at the Dead Sea (one for Ein Gedi and Nahal David, the other for Masada). You will barely be scratching the surface.

Jun 25th, 2000, 02:37 AM
Fiona

I agree - you must spend a few nights in Tiberias.
I suggest you try to get somewhere within walking distance of the Old City in Jerusalem. I wouldn't book too many tours of Israel prior to your departure as there are any number of taxi drivers who will only be too happy to take you around eg last month we visited Bethlehem (from Jerusalem) for $US50. This was a 2 hour tour with a private guide.
If you enjoy beaches you must stay a few nights in Tel Aviv, otherwise you could possibly visit here, from Jerusalem, for a day. Jaffa is certainly worth a visit and the beaches are lovely.
In Tiberias I recommend 'Hotel Mecure Tiberias Sea of Galilee'. It is in a great spot, has a lovely pool area and direct access to the Sea of Galilee.
When you visit the Dead Sea, you must take a pair of slip on shoes (thongs) as the salt rocks under foot on the shore are almost razor sharp!!! Inerestingly, we also floated in the Dead Sea from the Jordanian side and here the shore is a pebbly beach.
Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Search this Thread