Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > 1 night Lake Manyara -- Gibb's Farm or Lake Manyara Serena or ?

1 night Lake Manyara -- Gibb's Farm or Lake Manyara Serena or ?

Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

1 night Lake Manyara -- Gibb's Farm or Lake Manyara Serena or ?

We are finally, I think, almost ready to book our trip for late November-early December but are still debating about our one night at Lake Manyara. Here is what we are looking at:
Fly into JRO, overnight Kia Lodge
Fly from Arusha to Serengeti
3 nights Migration Camp
3 nights Serengeti Serena Lodge
2 nights Ikoma
1 night Ndutu
2 nights Ngorongoro Serena Lodge
1 night Lake Manyara Serena (or Gibbs or ?)
2 nights Swala (Tarangire)

We had thought we would stay one night at Lake Manyara Serena. Our operator is recommending we substitute Gibb's Farm instead of Lake Manyara Serena, at the same price. My only thought is that on the map Gibbs Farm looks farther from Lake Manyara National Park and since we will only really have two half-days there I think I would rather be closer. Thoughts from those who've stayed at either or know the area? Thanks in advance.
Apr 2nd, 2005, 08:18 AM

Yes, Gibbs has great food so you may want to consider stopping there for lunch on your way to Manyara from Ngorongoro!

But staying closer to Manyara make sense since I assume you want to visit the park?

The Serena also has great views. In your case, I think it is a better option than Gibbs.

Also, while not crucial, you could switch the order of Ikoma and the Serengeti Serena - doing Migration, then Ikoma then Seronera then Ndutu. Your drive to Ndutu will be shorter then!
Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:23 AM

I must admit that Lake Manyara wasn't my favourite place in Tanzania. It might depend on how you're travelling but after several days of roughing it, stopping for lunch at Gibb's coffee farm was like landing in heaven for me. I would have loved to have stayed there.
Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:06 AM

Lisa,

I'd ask your agent what the advantage of Gibbs over Manyara Serena is. I've only been there for lunch, which was absolutely incredible! If you want to maximize your time with the wildlife, then Manyara Serena would give you more time. The rest of your itinerary looks good.

Search this Thread