Egypt tour apparel help needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. Will be touring Egypt including 7-night Nile Cruise, in September. Any advice on appropriate clothing and foot gear would be appreciated. We are planning on cotton/linen trousers and modest shirts for Cairo and other cities. But I'm guessing that shorts would be okay for touring archeological sites? What about shoes? Sneakers, sandals? How much walking is actually involved in viewing the sites? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Walking around the site, i would recommend a pair of light weight boots and a pair of chino/bdocker style trousers. The ground can be uneven in places and sencible cloths stop you getting grazes etc. A hat is also a good idea. Saves you getting sun strock.
Rich,
Photos of our trip to Egypt.
http://www.franceinfocus.net/vlc6.html
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Much discussion in past on this here. Shorts are really not preferred wear for touring sites. Your Cairo attire sounds fine. But for local custom/modesty and for sun protection, lightweight pants or even capri length pants are more practical. Wide-brimmed hat - some companies (Travelsmith is one) sell crushable brimmed hats so they don't take up so much room in luggage.

There is a fair amount of walking - parking or drop-off point is often a walk from actual site. And the heat makes it seem farther. I prefer lighter footwear to person above who suggested lightweight boots. Sturdy sneakers did it for me, and I even wore sturdy hiking sandals on several days. (Remember sunblock to tops of feet!) Ground is often uneven and has varying amounts of sand and gravel on top. Many sites have a lot of stairs (Valley of Kings/Queens).

On the cruise, shorts, even tank tops are OK.

I found I went through more clothes than I usually do on a trip. You can go out to see sites in the AM, return to cruise for lunch and feel so sweaty that you want to change clothing, including underwear! I found myself rinsing out tops and underwear, even though I brought enough for the trip.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 12:03 PM
sandi

Unless you're comfortable in boots, as mentioned above, a good pair or running shoes are fine. You find lots of uneven ground and sand, as mentioned, that you'd be best protecting your feet. That's not to say that I didn't see quite a number of people wearing "teva-type" sandles.

Shorts are best to wear while cruising, as are bikinis while on the sun deck. I've found that capri pants work well while touring, but if you have longer length "walking shorts" that come to the knee, go with them. Plenty of visitors were wearing these, and interesting to note, that is what many Egyptians wear under their gallabeyas.

Don't forget the hat and sunblock especially if you burn easily; generally try to keep as much skin covered even in the heat, as it really does keep you more comfortable. And go with light colors - white, beige, tan... not black. Happy travels.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Ag3046

Shorts are neither appropriate or comfortable in the heat. Women,especially, should not wear shorts. Wear comfortable shoes with a sturdy sole. I prefer sturdy sandals. Wear loose and covering clothes. Tank tops are not appropriate for either men or women, and you get far too much sun exposure.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Hi RDKR,

Awesome photos. Did you travel independently or with a tour?
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:59 PM

I agree that hiking boots are not necessary. I wore my flip flops when I was in the desert and the Valley of the Kings and had no problems.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the tips. I will plan on light weight slacks and/or capris for all touring and save the shorts for the Nile Cruise. Sneakers seem to be the best choice for touring as well. I have a foldable hat with a brim that I got on a previous trip, so will take that rather than the visor I ususally wear. And sun block -- SPF 30!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:30 AM

We just got back from Egypt. You can bring a pair of walking shorts (closer to the knee) since it will be very hot in the sites in Luxor, Aswan (not much shade). I didn't bring any sleeveless shirts or tank tops but you can get away with wearing them in the sites since they are all swarming with tourists. But back in Cairo I would be more conservative in clothing--long sleeved shirts, pants or capris, no shorts.

I recommend sneakers or hiking boots in the sites since quite rocky. Some wore tevas/rubber sandals but you may have a problem with dusty toes.

Cairo in March was surprisingly cool. We went to the light and sound show at the pyramids and I was almost freezing. don't forget to bring a sweater. not sure though if september weather will be the same.