1 Night In Johannesburg-Please HELP!

Jul 30th, 1997, 03:56 AM
Michelle

1 Night In Johannesburg-Please HELP!

My bofriend and I will be spending 28hrs (1night,1day) in Johannesburg while waiting for a connecting flight. We require info on accomodation, preferrably close to the airport, that is fairly cheap. Also is it worth having a look around or should we just rest up at the hotel? Thank you for your help. Michelle.

Aug 2nd, 1997, 03:53 AM
WILCO VAN EEDEN

Hi! The best hotel (at the airport) is the Holiday Inn Johannesburg International Airport. The cost per double room, including a full English breakfast is approximately US$ 40-50 per room! Johannesburg is NOT a very safe city!!!!! (Ask me, I stay in South Africa) I advise you to ONLY leave you hotel to do excursions per tour operator!!!!! Abantu Tours is excellent and safe and will take you for a half-day tour to Soweto township/squatter camp. The cost is US$ 30 per person and include lunch in a shebeen (local pub) as well as a visit to Winnie Mandela's home (President Mandela's ex-wife), interaction with the local people and a visit to a jazz-bar. You can also use the rest of the day to visit Gold Reef City Entertainment Park where you can go down one of the deepest gold mines in the world. The half-day excursion costs US$ 50 per person.
Good luck!

Oct 25th, 1997, 08:58 PM
Sue Hamby

I stayed at the Holiday Inn also and feel that it is the best for your money.

Oct 31st, 1997, 02:43 AM
glynda

if i were you i would rather travel away from the airport as there is not much to do around there.try and stay in the sandton area there is a large assortment of all priced hotels and large malls and good restaurants.and you can feel safer around here it is only 20 mins from the airport and there are numerous shuttles and taxis available.try the sandton sun and towers or the balalika.
enjoy your stay it is a great exciting place

Search this Thread