1 DAY VISIT TO TANGIERS-WHAT TO DO?

Aug 30th, 2002, 11:59 AM
barb

1 DAY VISIT TO TANGIERS-WHAT TO DO?

We(4 Americans)will travel via Alcafiera(sp?) -- and have inquired of Mr. Aziz who is referenced in other messages as a reliable guide. Any suggestions on what to do/not do? Place to purchase rugs? Regular restaurant? Do we want to stay overnight? We only have the 1-2 days, and can't visit Marrakesh or Fez this trip, as we are based out of Marbella, Spain. Any advice or places of great interest would be appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 31st, 2002, 11:37 AM
Pamela Windo

Tangiers: Go up to the Kasbah (great views of the Mediterranean and Spain in the distance; up there, visit the Dar el Makhzen palace, then wander down through the narrow alleys. Ask directions to Cafe Hafa, a rambling cafe set on the side of a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean--Paul Bowles used to go there.
Later, have coffee in one of the simple cafes in the Petit Socco, all the artists and writers used to go there. There's also St. Andrew's church--half Christian and half Islamic architecture--lots of fascinating gravestones. Not far from there, is Gran Hotel Villa de France, where Matisse used to paint from one of the broken-down windows you can see if you look up.
If you stay the night in Tangier, (and are on a medium/low budget, try the Continental overlooking the port--faded but charming, or more expensive, Hotel el Minzah. For a very good authentic (and a bit expensive) Moroccan meal, try dinner at either El Korsan, Restaurant Raihani, Hotel El Minzah. For great fish (less expensive), and an encounter with an interesting Moroccan health-nut, try Le Saveur du poisson, in a steep alley to the left of the Hotel Minzah.
Hope this helps, Pamela

Sep 10th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Barb

Pamela, thanks for the info. I now turns out that the other couple traveling with us don't want to make the ferry crossing and spend the time, even one day. I think it will be their loss, and am trying to talk my husband into spending one night!!! I will use your suggestions, thanks again for answering!! Safe travels!

Search this Thread