1/2 day in Dubai - what to do and see

Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

1/2 day in Dubai - what to do and see

I'm flying via Dubai this May and thought of seeing a bit of the city. Flight arrives in Dubai at 5 am and the next flight out is at 2.30pm.

Is that enough time to catch a taxi for a drive around town? What should I go see/experience? Top of my list is the Gold Souk... I heard that it's quite an experience, even if I'm not planning on buying any jewelry.
Was thinking of doing a bit of textile shopping too. Any suggestions on where I should head for this?

And what time should I head back to the airport?

Appreciate any advice Thanks!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:34 AM

just arrange for a 3 - 4 hour city tour. I stayed overnight on the way to Nairobi.

We had a flight around the same time. We asked at our hotel desk and they had a 1/2 day city tour and it was perfect... and more than enough
Mar 25th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Your time is quite short since many things don't open until 9am.

I would catch a taxi to Deira Abra Dock and take a shared water taxi across the creek to Bastakiya/ Bur Dubai. You can walk through the Dubai Souq (textiles souq/hindu temple/Dubai Museum) to Bastakiya (traditional old windtower houses/ art galleries/cafe).

Then take the water taxi back to Deira and walk through the Deira Old Souq to the Gold Souq.

Deira is very close to the airport but if there's traffic, it could take more than 15-20 min by taxi. You have to be at the airport about 2 hours before, so this could be tight.

Good luck

Search this Thread