Search

Itinerary Help to Georgia (Country) - 6 Nights 7 Days

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2023, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help to Georgia (Country) - 6 Nights 7 Days

Hello Forum,.

We are a couple planning to visit Georgia in January end. We hear its a very beautiful place and would like to spend about 7 days. From what we read, this is a rough plan that we have made.
Arrival Day Plus 2 days - Tbilisi
2 days - Gudauri - Plan to spend one day in Ski Resort & 1 day nearby area
Last 2 days - Return back to Tbilsi and do some day trips from there.

We did think of Batumi, but dropped the plan as we read that its a beach destination and Many things will be closed due to the Cold weather.

Request for advice please if this is a good itinerary OR should we do some changes.

Thanks in Advance,
Myraa....
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Myraa
Hello Forum,.

We are a couple planning to visit Georgia in January end. We hear its a very beautiful place and would like to spend about 7 days. From what we read, this is a rough plan that we have made.
Arrival Day Plus 2 days - Tbilisi
2 days - Gudauri - Plan to spend one day in Ski Resort & 1 day nearby area
Last 2 days - Return back to Tbilsi and do some day trips from there.

We did think of Batumi, but dropped the plan as we read that its a beach destination and Many things will be closed due to the Cold weather.

Request for advice please if this is a good itinerary OR should we do some changes.

Thanks in Advance,
Myraa....
Very difficult to comment on whether this is a good itinerary given the scant information provided. There are a number of potential day trips from Tbilisi and we can't read your mind as to what you had envisioned...

Also, as a general rule, it seems like a waste of time and disruptive to do a side trip smack in the middle of a visit to one city. If you're set on Gudauri, do it at the beginning or the end -- not in the middle.
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 06:12 AM

Tbilisi has a lot of great features, so I think you don't need any day trips from there in such a short trip. I visited in Summer, so I'm not sure what it's like at the end of January.
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 01:15 PM

Welcome to Fodor's. I have a few comments:

1. I agree with LAX that one generally takes a excursion for a night or two at the beginning or end of the trip. I would probably put it at the end.

2. We were in Georgia this last May. We spent five nights in Tbilisi, and two in Mestia, which is a beautiful area in the mountains. I didn't think that Tbilisi was as charming as other capitals that we have visited, but one long day, or two regular days should be sufficient to see it. We took three days trips from Tbilisi, and it was well worth it. The countryside, and the mountain region is absolutely gorgeous. However, I am not sure about accessibility in January.

3. In Tbilisi, make sure you see the Rezo Gabriadze marionette show. The theater is small and popular, so get tickets well in advance. It was wonderful.

4. I am going to share our driver/guide with you. We have used many drivers all over the world, and this one is a gem. He scores in the top five. If you decide to use him, please be kind to him: No last minute cancellations, and tip generously.

Giorgi Malidze
Giorgi Malidze <[email protected]>
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you planning to ski? Because otherwise I don't think I would head for the mountains in the winter. I do agree with your decision to skip batumi, which I wasn't impressed with even in the autumn.

My information on Georgia is dated, but I enjoyed a day trip from Tbilisi to Mtskheta, and a side trip to monasteries and wineries based in Telavi. I don't think I'd recommend Borjomi and Vardzia in December - I had snow in late Septmber..