San Francisco 2 day itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, travelling around the west coast of the USA in late sept and will be in SF for 3 nights. We are 2 females in our mid twenties interested in the usual sights. We fly into SF in the afternoon so we don't plan to do a lot on the first day. Not particularly interested in museums so this is the rough itinerary for the 2 full days we have. Does this look feasible? Trying to group together sights which are close by to save time.

Arrive 3 pm local time
Walk to inout burger for food
Fishermans wharf

1st full day:
Union squ.
Get cable car to lombard st.
Walk to pier 39 dander about
Get bike to sausalito and get ferry back

2nd full day:
Alcatraz in morning
North beach for lunch
Coit tower
Painted ladies
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 06:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Doesn't make a lot of sense really. Look at a map - in 2.5 days you are in the pier 39/Fishermans Wharf area four times.

Your first full day has you going from Union Sq to the piers and then west to the bridge, across the bridge and back to the piers.

Then on the 2nd full day you are back at the piers again, to Coit Tower, then to the painted ladies which are on the opposite side of the city.

I don't think day 2 (your first full day) is possible actually. Not if you spend any time at Union Sq. anyway.

Have you already booked your Alcatraz tickets? If not, do that ASAP and arrange your itinerary around when you are able to get tix.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 06:18 AM

I'd do the bike ride across the bridge earliesh on day one. And maybe add the ferry building for breakfast. Day 2: I'd probably do North beach for dinner instead of lunch, as Italian is heavy and it's a fun area to walk around in the evening. Maybe eat in the mission or Hayes valley for lunch? But it depends on what time your Alcatraz trip ends. Have you bought your tickets yet? You may want to do that ASAP so you get your desired sailing.

I know you said no museums, but the cable car museum is definitely worth a visit (it's free). And I'd probably choose to go to the Japanese Garden in Golden Gate Park instead of painted ladies unless it's a very clear day.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 06:27 AM

Ha. Janisj and I posted at the same time with the same advice about Alcatraz.

Don't think I made it clear- but I agree. Do Union Square last that day- it's easy to get distracted and you could spend all day there. I did do that day in one day but only because I had an errand to run in Union Square and didn't spend a significant amount time shopping.

I sort of assumed you are staying near the wharf though. That's the only way the crisscrossing would make sense? If not, skip in and out and eat in north beach your first night. Or wherever is convenient.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 06:43 AM

I can think of hundreds of more interesting places than Fisherman's Wharf, In-out, and Pier 39. How about Union St/Chestnut St instead? Just a short walk from the Wharf, if you are staying there. Dozens of places to get better burgers than in&out on Union/Chestnut, IMO. Chestnut St is the area where people your age spend their weekends - day & night.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...mendations.cfm

If you plan to take the Cable Car to Lombard, get off, and then walk the squiggly part of Lombard & then on to Pier 39 - you will/can walk through North Beach to get to Pier 39. Do your lunch thing then. You will also be a block or two (uphill walk) from Coit Tower on this walk.

I would do Union Sq, CC to Lombard, North Beach Lunch, Coit Tower, and painted ladies on your first full day. Then Alcatraz, bikes, Crissy Field, Ft Point, Sausalito on your 2nd full day. You can get rental bikes at the Wharf after the Alcatraz tour. Determine if you want to spend any additional time at the Wharf then.

If you catch the Cable Car from Union Square mid-day on a weekend in tourist season - the lines will be VEEERRRYYY long. Also, only one of the 2 Cable Car routes will go past the squiggly part of Lombard. Make sure you get on the Hyde Car. I would actually advise you to catch the CC VVVEEERRRYYY early in the morning from the Wharf (Hyde St line). If you are staying at the Wharf, I would do the CC thing in reverse. Catch the CC from the Wharf (shorter line in the early am) to Lombard (short trip), walk the squiggly part, then Coit Tower (views are best in the AM), then North Beach & lunch. Then walk through Chinatown (Stockton, not Grant St) to Union Sq.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 07:22 AM

In case you don't read the long post I provided the link to - here is how to get to Union St & Chestnut from the Wharf.

Walk west to Van Ness Blvd and turn left (south). Walk a few blocks on Van Ness to Union St & turn right (west). In 2 blocks, you will encounter the shopping/restaurant area. If you are dong this in the afternoon, walk on the south side of Union St so the sun will not be in your face. Continue west on Union St to 1 block past Fillmore St. Cross over Union St to the north side of Union St (past Rose's Cafe - where I get burgers), & walk back to Fillmore St. Turn left (north) on Fillmore had walk north past the Bermuda Tirangle (3 cafes on 4 corners - where young girls your age hang-out in the evening & don't return home soon - old story). Walk across the busy Lombard St & in 1 block turn left (west) onto Chestnut St. More shops & restaurants - lots of other burger places. Walk west on Lombard to Divisadero, cross the street and walk east on Chestnut. Retrace your route on Fillmore/Union/Van Ness to get back to the Wharf.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. We are staying on Sutter st so not really near the wharf. I thought doing the bikes and Alcatraz might be too much on the 1 day but I can see how this would cover that area in 1 day.
So on day 1: bikes and Alcatraz and the general wharf area.

Day 2: Union sq followed by Chinatown and lombard st, ending in North beach for dinner (could do this day in reverse but dinner in North beach sounds good)

Does this make more sense?
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

I've revised our itinerary again.

Could do union sq on the day of our arrival and spend a few hours here

Day 1: lombard st, coit tower, Chinatown and North beach
Japanese tea garden late afternoon. It looks quite far away but looks really good. Need to work out best way to get there

Day 2: wharf area. Bikes and Alcatraz
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 08:38 AM

Don't make ANY plans until you have your Alcatraz tickets. They sell out and you may not have a choice of times . . .
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 08:51 AM

Japanese tea garden vs Painted Ladies is like apples & oranges.

We've lived in SF or close by since '75 - with many, many visits before that. My wife & I visited the Japanese Tea Garden about 30 to 40 years ago It didn't do much for either of us - we've never been back. We are members of Victorian Alliance, and my wife conducts the "Landmark Victorians of Alamo Square" walking tour for San Francisco City Guides. www.sfcityguides.org Obviously, viewing Victorian houses are more interesting to us than a visit to a Tea Garden. It all depends on your particular interests. Personally, I would only go to the Tea Garden in conjunction with a visit to Golden Gate Park and the Academy of Science & the DeYoung Museums.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 09:04 AM

The Tea Garden is in the middle of several very interesting sites in Golden Gate Park -- all basically right next door to each other . . . the De Young, the Botanical Gardens, and the Academy of Science. I'd never hassle w/ getting to the Park just to go to the Tea Garden, but combining it w/ one or more of the others - sure.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 09:46 AM

Ditto re the Japanese Tea Garden (I think the last time I was there was 1974).

I really enjoyed the Alcatraz tour (I've been twice over the years), but I'm not sure that's how I would spend my time if I only had two days. If it's really important, though....

One day: early to Alcatraz, bike or walk across the GGB and have lunch in Sausalito, walk around Sausalito, return via ferry, return bikes, and wander around Fisherman's Wharf, dinner in North Beach. If you skip Alcatraz, instead walk up some of the "hidden staircases) and end up at Coit Tower, then walk down through North Beach and Chinatown (Stockton Street, not Grant Avenue, the difference between 'real' and 'touristy')

Another day: Union Square, and other neighborhoods - Hayes Street, 24th Street, Union Street, Chestnut Street -- take your pick depending on the vibe you like.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 09:53 AM

Allison 1991, I hope you won't let anyone talk you out of Alcatraz! It's one of the best things to do in SF for so many reasons: the boat ride, the views from the island, the atmosphere of the prison, the audio tour... it's all good.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 10:08 AM

I wasn't suggesting skipping Alcatraz, but I do think the OP should know that it's not a quick trip. You have to line up in advance of your appointed time, take the ferry both ways, and take the tour - at least 3 hours in all.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 10:38 AM

Who suggested dropping Alcatraz . . . we are only saying she MUST pre book far in advance and it definitely is a time commitment.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 10:59 AM

StuDudley- I completely understand what you mean by apples and oranges But when it comes down to it, I'd pick Golden Gate over Alamo- but that's probably because I'm pretty blasé about views and unless there's a tour with history attached, I find looking at the exteriors of houses kind of dull. (I was disappointed that I couldn't fit in a city guides tour- basically sacrificed that for a last minute ticket to Alcatraz ) But also, it was windy and cloudy the day I saw the painted ladies- I imagine the view is glorious on a clear day!

Definitely do Alcatraz, awesome for views and history. If anything, I'd skip Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square- SF has so many vibrant, diverse neighborhoods to explore.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 12:13 PM

>> I'd pick Golden Gate over Alamo
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 06:25 PM

I love the Tea Garden and stop in there often to see the changing seasons (yes--even SF has seasons--subtle but rewarding) and have tea at the pavilion. I usually combine it with a visit to the botanical garden, the conservatory of flowers, or the De Young Museum. Even if you aren't interested in seeing the museum exhibits, you can go up in the museum tower for free and get a great view.

On the other hand, if you can make time for a guided tour (free) of the Victorians and Stu's wife is the guide, you won't regret it!
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 08:12 PM

janisj is correct. Your itinerary will revolve around your Alcatraz tour time.

I recommend seeing Alcatraz (Pier 33), followed by Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, and Ghirardelli Square on the same day. If you have time, you can also drive to Crissy Field and take photos of the bridge from there. I'd forget the bike ride to Sausalito as it is too time consuming. At night, you can ride the cable car from Ghirardelli Square back to Union Square or Embarcadero (or wherever your hotel is).

For the other day, I'd drive to Lombard St, Alamo Square (where you can see Painted Ladies), Twin Peaks, Tile Steps, Coit Tower, and Baker Beach. This may sound like a lot but none of it takes much time. At night, you can visit Union Square and do some shopping.

2 full days in S.F. isn't enough but it'll make you want to go back again.
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 06:19 AM

>> I'd drive to Lombard St, Alamo Square (where you can see Painted Ladies), Twin Peaks, Tile Steps, Coit Tower, and Baker Beach

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -