The oldest European settlement on South America's mainland, Cumaná was founded by the Spanish in 1521. Most of its colonial buildings were destroyed by a string of earthquakes that devastated the town. It's a hike to get here, but those who make the effort almost always come away with rave reviews. The scenery and outlying beaches, in particular, are fabulous.
Cumaná at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's